Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThunderBow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
On a mac, if you click "Go" in Finder and click "Go to folder", and type in /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Resources/

there will be a Python.app application. When you try to launch it, it will start up for a split second, but then close out. Why does this happen? and what is that app used for? Thanks!

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
If I had to guess, I would say that it's an executable that you would pass command line arguments to via Terminal, for example, if you wanted it to do anything.

I know nothing about Python, though, so that's just a guess.

It might also do nothing but launch a background process that continues running on your computer after it disappears from your dock.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
It's probably to allow for starting Python programs by double-clicking a .py file. However, it doesn't appear to be the primary app because it lacks the relevant CFBundleDocumentTypes entries.

My guess is that PythonLauncher.app (which does have the CFBundleDocumentTypes entries) receives the initial launch, and then it does something before passing control off to Python.app. I don't know what it would do, but maybe you can find the source and discover how they work.

I note that both Python.app and PythonLauncher.app have copyright notices for the Python Foundation, so you might find something on their website.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.