Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kabriDWL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2013
Los Angeles
Judging Results for Contest

Thank you to all for submitting...and waiting patiently for the results. ;)
Never easy to judge these competitions, but nonetheless a pleasure.

The theme was 'Mundane into Magnificent', and with that we saw a great variety of submissions from urban settings, to nature, to images within the home.

Without further adieu here are the results, beginning with 3rd Place.

3rd - cupcakes2000
Well done, a terrific street photography snap. At a 100mm, I would surmise you caught this fella in a candid moment, waiting, thinking, what have you. The highlights across the face give just enough to understand perhaps the mood, but without revealing anything further. And I really appreciate the location of the subject in the upper third. I also enjoyed the struggle, and I mean that as a compliment to compose the photo with the non-plumb steps (a charm of older architecture and civic plazas).

2nd - ijohn.8.80
Macro photography executed beautifully. I love the juxtaposition of something so linear as the macaw feather against a nearly perfectly spherical droplet of water. The colors are excellent. I didn't know that macaw feathers can be that color. Lastly, and this is actually a question, did you shoot this in a courtyard? From the reflection it looks like an opening to the sky above.

1st - Cheese&Apple
When I scrolled through the entries, this was the only one that made me respond out loud...which was with a laugh. Well done! This takes something, which I believe is so ubiquitous as a carnival and makes it magnificently entertaining. This was along the lines of what I had hoped for in setting this week's theme. Something surprising. Taking this as a candid moment, it's the dumbfounded reaction out of the gentleman on the right offset by the shagrin of the stuffed animal that makes you wonder just what is on that smartphone screen. Perhaps a happy accident or just the added ingredients that makes this photo entertaining; here we have arguably four pairs of people, all eating at picnic tables during this carnival 'spending time together', yet none of them are looking at each other. So to have the stuffed animal (is that a giraffe with a monkey face?) looking nearly at camera makes it the winning shot. Refreshingly funny and this week's Winner. Congrats.

Cheese&Apple, the weekly contest duty passes on to you.

Thank you to all who entered and I look forward to seeing this coming week's contest.

Best,
Brian

kabriDWL
http://kabridwl.com

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Wow and thanks Brian and thank you very much for the comments. This an unexpected win among excellent shots….great job everyone and congrats to John and Cupcakes.

Mine was from this past weekend at our local summer fair the Canadian National Exhibition where I was taking shots of the air show.

New contest and theme is now up for Sept 3 to 9: Water

…Peter

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Congrat's Peter, I got a good chuckle from that picture.

It's always interesting to see the variation of thought that goes into everyones entries for the weekly. Well done to all.

2nd - ijohn.8.80
Macro photography executed beautifully. I love the juxtaposition of something so linear as the macaw feather against a nearly perfectly spherical droplet of water. The colors are excellent. I didn't know that macaw feathers can be that color. Lastly, and this is actually a question, did you shoot this in a courtyard? From the reflection it looks like an opening to the sky above.

Taken on my computer desk, with indirect light from a bank of windows that is behind the desk. I had to ramp up the ISO pretty high to get this shot as the water kept seeping through the feather pretty quickly. It's a pretty amazing feather, vibrant blue on top and this copper colour underneath! I'm glad you enjoyed the picture Brian, thanks for the feedback.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Thank you for the comments. Taken on some steps in Paris on the left bank of the Seine at sunset. Congrats to ijohn.8.80 and cheese&apple. Excellent shots!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.