Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Oct 9, 2013, 11:45 PM   #1
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Woman calls for ambulance for diabetic, police arrive and shoot to kill

Interesting if true:

Quote:
When Alicia Herron of Georgia called 911 to get emergency medical help for her diabetic fiancé, Jack Lamar Roberson, she did not expect the police to show up. And she certainly did not expect them to shoot Roberson dead as he held his hands up.

While police claim Roberson came toward them “aggressively armed” with a knife, his family — witnesses to the incident — deny the police’s version of events. Roberson’s mother said the family didn’t own “two decent knives.” Reason.com reported that “His mother and his fiancée both witnessed the shooting, and their 8-year-old daughter was apparently in the home too.”

Herron gave the following version of events to a local new station:

He didn’t have nothing in his hands at any time or period at all before they came, any time while they were here, anything. They just came in and shot him. He didn’t say nothing, the police didn’t say nothing, anything, it was like a silent movie. You couldn’t hear anything, all you could hear were the gun shots go off and I seen them going into his body and he just fell down.
http://www.salon.com/2013/10/08/woma...hoot_him_dead/
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2013, 12:08 AM   #2
elistan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpy!$4g3cwk View Post
I had a co-worker who is type 1 diabetic. One day he was sweating profusely and became somewhat non-responsive. We called 911, paramedics came, they checked his blood sugar levels, found it was WAY low, we got him some fruit juice from the cafe, they might have done some other things to help, I don't recall exactly, but he recovered his wits and was fine. He wasn't in any state to do a good job following anybody's orders. Police seem to have a standard response of applying force whenever anybody doesn't comply with their orders. Not a good thing when, for whatever reason, be it medical condition like low blood sugar or autism or Down syndrome, the person being ordered doesn't have the capability of understanding what they are being told to do.

But not knowing what happened in this situation, I can't specifically comment on it beyond saying I'm damn glad it was paramedics and not police who showed up to help my co-worker.
elistan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:41 AM   #3
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68030

This is exactly why soon enough there will be survalince cameras covering every corner inside and outside people's residence, vehicles, and etc.
LIVEFRMNYC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2013, 11:22 AM   #4
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVEFRMNYC View Post
This is exactly why soon enough there will be survalince cameras covering every corner inside and outside people's residence, vehicles, and etc.
Unfortunately, the cameras will show the police officers doing what they are taught to do: "control and react". Sometimes the police officers are convicted of something if they were being especially egregious bullies. But, seldom is the department and its training questioned.

But, only when police departments are forced to admit that their training is flawed, and that they need to train their officers to deal with the mentally ill, the physically ill, and the disabled, will this get better.
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues