Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jan 10, 2014, 06:07 PM   #51
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpy!$4g3cwk View Post
I'm not saying they should. I just know for a fact that they do. And the reason they do it is because they want the kids to have the right instructional materials. Professionalism, and caring for the kids.
Perhaps these teachers refuse to roll-over, and participate in the dumbing down of 'America".

Corporate moguls might not be pleased at them trying to elevate their future slaves.
iJohnHenry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2014, 06:13 PM   #52
SoAnyway
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpy!$4g3cwk View Post
I'm not saying they should. I just know for a fact that they do. And the reason they do it is because they want the kids to have the right instructional materials. Professionalism, and caring for the kids.

Looked at from an engineering point of view, it isn't that odd, either. I've known a lot of people over the years who had better computer systems at home than at work, mainly in the 1985-2005 time frame, and, when they knew they had an ironclad case justifying the work system they wanted, then went for it at work. Essentially doing some development at home. That used to happen all the time, too. Less so now, for the reason that (big companies at least) don't want any trade secrets on employee's systems, and, computers are so fantastically cheap and powerful now that even stingy employers can't complain.

But, even so, I see people paying for their own odds and ends that just don't fit the management mindset. Looked at another way, your worklife time is valuable, and sometimes it doesn't pay to spend a lot of it arguing over small expenditures even if it represents sunk cost.

It still doesn't address the issue that teachers are spending their own salary in order to educate other people's children.

We're talking about basic materials like chalk, markers, paper, etc. I personally know instructors who have to do that because the school doesn't have any money to pay for the basics and they're told, "These materials can be provided if we cut into your salary." This isn't really a choice nor should it be a lesson in an individual instructor's personal finances for working a job where they are all ready severely underpaid.

Other than teachers, I don't know of other professions, both public and private, where basic supplies aren't provided by the company.
SoAnyway is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2014, 08:24 PM   #53
MyMac1976
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoAnyway View Post
It still doesn't address the issue that teachers are spending their own salary in order to educate other people's children.

We're talking about basic materials like chalk, markers, paper, etc. I personally know instructors who have to do that because the school doesn't have any money to pay for the basics and they're told, "These materials can be provided if we cut into your salary." This isn't really a choice nor should it be a lesson in an individual instructor's personal finances for working a job where they are all ready severely underpaid.

Other than teachers, I don't know of other professions, both public and private, where basic supplies aren't provided by the company.
That actually quite prevalent in government I buy a goodly amount of supplies I need to do my job such as photo paper, CD's, markers, razor blades, pens, staples, batteries etc.
MyMac1976 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2014, 09:29 PM   #54
SoAnyway
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyMac1976 View Post
That actually quite prevalent in government I buy a goodly amount of supplies I need to do my job such as photo paper, CD's, markers, razor blades, pens, staples, batteries etc.

I'm actually quite surprised by this. That is, basic office supplies aren't even provided in the public sector. Then again, there's no room for "wasteful spending" when we need to fund the Pentagon and weapons contractors.
SoAnyway is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2014, 09:34 PM   #55
MyMac1976
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoAnyway View Post
I'm actually quite surprised by this. That is, basic office supplies aren't even provided in the public sector. Then again, there's no room for "wasteful spending" when we need to fund the Pentagon and weapons contractors.
We haven't had money for stuff like that for years. I have a very pricy plotter (canon ipf 9100) that I had to have other units buy things for because I cannot. It's life in the government.
MyMac1976 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues