Migrating without migration assistant - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:35 PM   #1
whiteboxamir
macrumors newbie

Exclamation Migrating without migration assistant

So I'm taking my new macbook air to the shop and the seller is probably going to replace it with a new one (camera isn't working).

My question is migration. They'll take the one and give me another, without my being able to use migration assistant.

Will time machine via an external drive be able to do the same thing? I'd like to avoid having to do all of the downloading, setting up, etc, that I just did a few days ago. Anyway to save me from this without migration assistant? e.g. files, applications (particular MS office since I only have 1 license), touchpad settings, etc.
whiteboxamir is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:38 PM   #2
TheRealDamager
macrumors 65816

Can they just swap the SSDs?
TheRealDamager is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:42 PM   #3
wolfpuppies3
macrumors 6502

I just use carbon copy cloner and make an exact copy of the SDD and use that for the new drive.

Be sure to see the old drive reformatted to do away with an]ll your personal information,
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:00 PM   #4
whiteboxamir
macrumors newbie

Didn't even know what an SSD was until you mentioned it (says the fairly new mac user).

Thanks for referring me to Carbon Copy Cloner. Downloading it now.

How do I format the old drive?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:06 PM   #5
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboxamir View Post
Didn't even know what an SSD was until you mentioned it (says the fairly new mac user).

Thanks for referring me to Carbon Copy Cloner. Downloading it now.

If it is a new MacBook Air it will have Recovery Mode. Reboot and hold down Command-R. It will boot into a special recovery mode. From there you can go into Disk Utility and reformat the drive (and reinstall OS X if you want).

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718
KPOM is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:17 PM   #6
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:
You don't have to reboot.

Just go into DISK UTILITY, in there you will be able to partition and format the externally attached backup drive, or flash dongle.

CC (and cousins) are highly recommended to use beyond your current need. With an "image" you can make the machine to "go back" to a known state. Often time one download somethings, make some changes, upgrade to a new OS version you don't like, and now how do you EASILY undo? Answer: Carbon Copy.

Spend some time learning what the App can do, and how u recover when needed.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:21 PM   #7
whiteboxamir
macrumors newbie

You guys are amazingly responsive and generous with your help.

Just ran the first standard (just followed the recommended flow of the software) CC, but it couldn't create a copy of the recovery partition. I have the sense that I wouldn't need this, though?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:32 PM   #8
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
You guys are amazingly responsive and generous with your help.

Just ran the first standard (just followed the recommended flow of the software) CC, but it couldn't create a copy of the recovery partition. I have the sense that I wouldn't need this, though?
No. The new MacBook Air you get will have its own recovery partition. Plus, even if the recovery partition is missing from a Mac, you can still use Internet Recovery using the same command-R method, as long as you have wi-fi.
KPOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:33 PM   #9
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
So I'm taking my new macbook air to the shop and the seller is probably going to replace it with a new one (camera isn't working).

My question is migration. They'll take the one and give me another, without my being able to use migration assistant.

Will time machine via an external drive be able to do the same thing? I'd like to avoid having to do all of the downloading, setting up, etc, that I just did a few days ago. Anyway to save me from this without migration assistant? e.g. files, applications (particular MS office since I only have 1 license), touchpad settings, etc.
You can do what you need without any other tools. Just run a Time Machine backup to your external drive. When you get home and boot the new machine at the end of the setup process run the Migration Assistant and point it to your external drive with the TM backup on it. Check all the boxes on what you want to import with Migration Assist. When it is done your new machine will be just like the old one with your user account and all data present.

The only issue is if you have MS Office or any Adobe apps you will need to reenter the serial numbers for them.
Weaselboy is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air