Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Sep 8, 2010, 03:03 PM   #1
MicroByte
macrumors 6502

Restore from Backup for new iPod Touch 4G?

I currently own another iPod Touch 3G and just got my 4G in. Is it possible to restore from the last backup of the 3G version?

What happens when I hook up the 3G, will they start mirroring each other or will it fork and treat them as separate devices going forward?

I was really hoping to pick up and start my new 4G version since it's just the way I want it and give my 3G to my son, but not without the same content.

*EDIT*

Found out the answer to my own question. I setup my new 4G from my last backup and everything loaded fine! It took 2 hours and when I clicked on the Apps tab, everything was spread across 15 pages, but it completed and put everything into the folders I had set so all was good!

I then plugged in my son's "new" iPod (really my old one) and renamed it to some other iPod name and it syncs now on it's own.

Last edited by MicroByte; Sep 8, 2010 at 08:10 PM.
MicroByte is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 03:03 AM   #2
iTouch.lover22
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroByte View Post
I currently own another iPod Touch 3G and just got my 4G in. Is it possible to restore from the last backup of the 3G version?

What happens when I hook up the 3G, will they start mirroring each other or will it fork and treat them as separate devices going forward?

I was really hoping to pick up and start my new 4G version since it's just the way I want it and give my 3G to my son, but not without the same content.

*EDIT*

Found out the answer to my own question. I setup my new 4G from my last backup and everything loaded fine! It took 2 hours and when I clicked on the Apps tab, everything was spread across 15 pages, but it completed and put everything into the folders I had set so all was good!

I then plugged in my son's "new" iPod (really my old one) and renamed it to some other iPod name and it syncs now on it's own.
What did you have to do to get all your apps back on? I just restored from my backup, but only 1 out of the 80 apps I had got reinstalled
Old Sep 15, 2010, 01:09 PM   #3
darknyt
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroByte View Post
. . . , but it completed and put everything into the folders I had set so all was good!
Please clarify this - because I had the opposite experience. I did a restore from backup from my old 3g iPod that had everything nicely arranged in folders and backed up the day before I bought the 4g.

When it was done restoring from a backup, it had vomited all the apps back over all the pages on the device with a ton hidden from view and only accessible from spotlight.

Now the one difference here is my 3g wasn't on the latest firmware I don't think - is it possible then that it refused to restore from backup and what it really did was just sync my new iPod with all the media choices I had selected in iTunes but not the iPod specific backup?

I notice all my saved progress in games/apps etc is reset.
darknyt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 01:20 PM   #4
laz305
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to laz305 Send a message via MSN to laz305 Send a message via Yahoo to laz305
I restored my iT4 from my iPhone 4 JB 4.0 backup with np so.... lol
laz305 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2010, 02:41 PM   #5
darknyt
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by laz305 View Post
I restored my iT4 from my iPhone 4 JB 4.0 backup with np so.... lol
lol?
darknyt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 07:26 PM   #6
cz9h3d
macrumors member

Apps not Restoring

It's not working for me...trying to restore from a 3g backup. Both running the latest OS.

The 3g backups always took forever as apps were backed up.

Plugged in the new 4g, selected restore from the old backup (and gives the new 4g the the old 3G name). Restored everything but the apps - did it way too quickly.

What am I missing??
cz9h3d is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch