Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KozzieH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2012
Hello everyone!

I got my iMac 21.5 for a few months ago, and I downloaded around +2000 fonts on it .. so, thats what makes it slow? e.e The worst thing is that I can’t open the Font-box, and so I can’t delete them! I tired when I saw it got so slow, but, then I was afraid that I were going to delete some of the fonts that already was on the computer!

Any ideas? :confused:

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Hello everyone!

I got my iMac 21.5 for a few months ago, and I downloaded around +2000 fonts on it .. so, thats what makes it slow? e.e The worst thing is that I can’t open the Font-box, and so I can’t delete them! I tired when I saw it got so slow, but, then I was afraid that I were going to delete some of the fonts that already was on the computer!

Any ideas? :confused:

Under the collection tab in Font Book, there's a list - All Fonts, Computer, and User.

All your added fonts are under User.

As for slowness, I don't think it's that (I have loads of fonts too). I think you might have some other issues. Have you installed any apps? Might check out Activity Monitor (under Utilities).

KozzieH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2012
Under the collection tab in Font Book, there's a list - All Fonts, Computer, and User.

All your added fonts are under User.

As for slowness, I don't think it's that (I have loads of fonts too). I think you might have some other issues. Have you installed any apps? Might check out Activity Monitor (under Utilities).

Well, thank you for telling me that it wasn’t the fonts that slowed down my computer. Unknownly my iPhoto won’t even pop up, like the whole file is removed.. somehow? Mabye anything about that?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Well, thank you for telling me that it wasn’t the fonts that slowed down my computer. Unknownly my iPhoto won’t even pop up, like the whole file is removed.. somehow? Mabye anything about that?

Try going into Disk Utility (under the Utilities folder), click Macintosh HD, and do a Repair Disk Permissions and Verify/Repair Disk and then restart the machine. Sounds like you have a permissions issue.

If that doesn't help, we'll look through your logs next. :)

KozzieH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2012
Try going into Disk Utility (under the Utilities folder), click Macintosh HD, and do a Repair Disk Permissions and Verify/Repair Disk and then restart the machine. Sounds like you have a permissions issue.

If that doesn't help, we'll look through your logs next. :)

Well, I’ll do that.. but, also, a weird thing.. When I open my Font Book, it only loading, loading and loading! I got over 2000 fonts, but still it only stays at 1 657! But, yeah, it might get fixed by repairing! :) Thank you

Satori

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2006
London
When I open my Font Book, it only loading, loading and loading! I got over 2000 fonts, but still it only stays at 1 657!

It might help to delete your fonts cache (in case this is corrupted and affecting the performance of other applications):

- Launch Terminal (from /Applications/Utilities)

- Enter the following command at the prompt and press Return: sudo atsutil databases -remove

- Restart your computer immediately

Satori

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2006
London
It could also be corrupted fonts.

Yep - could be that too.

OP: If repairing permissions and clearing out the font cache doesn't help, try using FontBook to disable all of your user installed fonts and restart. If your problems disappear at this point then you know you have a corrupt font amongst those that you have added.

To find the problematic font(s), re-enable fonts a few at a time to determine which is causing the problem. If the problem doesn't recur after adding a group, then re-enable another small group of font files. If the problem does recur, one of the font files you just added could be the cause. Disable the font files, and add them back one at a time. Restart the computer each time until you find the particular font file that causes the problem.

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
Why do you need 2,000 fonts loaded all at the same time!? :eek: Even production desktop publishing shops don't have ALL the fonts loaded at once. Of course your system will be operating slowly.

KozzieH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2012
Why do you need 2,000 fonts loaded all at the same time!? :eek: Even production desktop publishing shops don't have ALL the fonts loaded at once. Of course your system will be operating slowly.

Haha, I know it looks stupid, but, are you a graphic designer? .. :D I know it a bit "too" much, but, yeah .. ahaha

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Yep - could be that too.

OP: If repairing permissions and clearing out the font cache doesn't help, try using FontBook to disable all of your user installed fonts and restart. If your problems disappear at this point then you know you have a corrupt font amongst those that you have added.

To find the problematic font(s), re-enable fonts a few at a time to determine which is causing the problem. If the problem doesn't recur after adding a group, then re-enable another small group of font files. If the problem does recur, one of the font files you just added could be the cause. Disable the font files, and add them back one at a time. Restart the computer each time until you find the particular font file that causes the problem.

Just a note.

The best way to do this is removing half, half again and so on.

So, out of 2000 remove 1000, restart, problem gone you know it's in the ones you moved out.
Remove the 1000 above, move 500 of offending post in, restart, problem there, half it again-250 fonts out.

Back in the "Old" OS 9 days there were plenty of extension problems, the way to solve this was or buy a program or do it yourself by doing the above.

----
Fontbook also validates fonts and reports them, sadly you can't do this.
There are other programs which will repair fonts but they all cost money.

Last edited:

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
Haha, I know it looks stupid, but, are you a graphic designer? .. :D I know it a bit "too" much, but, yeah .. ahaha
I've been a professional graphic designer since 1990, so yes, I am a graphic designer. I remember my first Macintosh "workstation" -- a Quadra with 4MB RAM. I would be lucky if that thing would allow me to have 100 fonts at a time. (Insert obligatory "get off my lawn" quote here.) :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.