Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rorton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2007
Hi All,

Pulled an old hard disk from a windows box, and all the file names for my tunes are in order, but these are not the ID3 tags, so as soon as imported into iTunes, its just showing 'Track 1, track 2 etc'

Is there an app i can run these files through, to convert the file name to ID3 tags before importing?

Thanks

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I wrote a tool that does a task very similar to what you are trying to do, except that it pulls the tags from HTML pages. I could repurpose the tool for your needs, if you want.

rorton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2007
wow, thanks for the offer, would wanna trouble you as i though there must be an app already about that does this?!

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
Tried it. Doesn't work with 10.5.6. App runs, but when you try to convert files it doesn't do anything.

It works fine for me. 10.5.6 I mainly use Table > ID3 Tag & Filename.
Did you build a pattern?

Also check you home/Music folder. I think that by default, it moves the modified files there.

John816

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2012
ID3 Editor worked like a charm for me on this. I wish they had a few more details in their instructions or YouTube videos on how it all works. Otherwise, great software and works like a charm. If you have any questions their support responds fast.

On little safety tip is that if you have a hyphen in the name then it will consider what's before the hyphen as a the track number and tag the file with whatever you have after the hyphen as the name. To get around this go to Preferences > Advanced > "Use the format below" > Enter: %T and all is good.

When batching click "Set title and track number from file name" at the bottom right of the Standard window.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.