Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AbSoLuT-ZcC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
Hello Guys/Girls,

The question is in the title.
I removed the native Notes App (because it was crashing again and again) confident in the fact that I could reinstall it easily, but I don't know how...

Seems like switching from MS to Mac is full of little surprises :D

Thanks in advance and sorry to bother you with something which I guess is "obvious" for you.

Cheers,

A-Z

EDIT: Thank you for moving the Message to the right forum, I'm stupid :)

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Just do a command-r boot to recovery and reinstall the OS. That will put the notes app back and will not erase your data. Backup first though just to be safe.

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
If you have an external hard drive, you can clone you internal HD (using Disk Utility) to it and have a full backup…

To do this, plug in you external, then when it shows up on the desktop, open Disk Utility (in Applications/ Utilities) and select your internal disk (should be the second one) . Then click the "restore" tab and drag you disk to the "destination" field, then click "restore"

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thank you Weaselboy!

But could you tell me how to backup too?

Thanks! :D

Just plug in an external drive and format to Mac OS Extended using Disk Utility. Then turn on the built in Time Machine and point it to the external drive. That will give you a full, bootable backup or your entire drive.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Just plug in an external drive and format to Mac OS Extended using Disk Utility. Then turn on the built in Time Machine and point it to the external drive. That will give you a full, bootable backup or your entire drive.
When did Time Machine start making bootable backups?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The first backup puts a copy of the Recovery HD partition on the Time Machine disk. So it looks and works just like a command-r boot to the internal Recovery HD.
Right. So you boot to restore mode, rather than booting into normal OS X. Thanks. I thought I had missed something new.

AbSoLuT-ZcC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
Thank you guys.

But I give up. Seems too much work just to reinstall a simple app.

Sorry to have wasted your time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.