Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mix1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
Leicester, UK
I've just got back from the apple store after taking my iPad mini back for a dead pixel on the screen. I open up my new replacement and the back is scratched and has a few black marks going down the side.

Should I take this back aswell? Or am I being too picky. Will they believe me that it was like this when I took it out the box?

Thanks.

JoeFkling

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2013
function before form. Does the screen work better now? If so, I would keep it. But I also dont care much about resale value.

cruzmisl

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
Have you tried rubbing the marks off With your finger?

Thing about resale value, down the line this stuff won't really matter to people buying these second hand. Or if you keep it, well in all likelihood you will upgrade at some point and not care about this one either. My ipad 1 is physically in pristine shape, but I've moved past it and dont care that it has dead pixels.

I'm on my 4th mini now and found a small piece of dust recently appear under the screen. However, the screen is uniform, and has minimal backlight bleed. My previous ones have had worse problems than a speck of dust, so I'm going to jut be happy with this one.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
I would take it back.. I don't expect perfect but do expect it to look like new if I'm buying new.. I expect form and function when I pay premium prices.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I would take it back.. I don't expect perfect but do expect it to look like new if I'm buying new.. I expect form and function when I pay premium prices.

It's not premium prices. It's the cheapest version of a mass produced consumer device. :rolleyes:

Mix1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
Leicester, UK
Thanks for your responses guys. Think im going to take it back again. Open the next one in store, check it and if its marked etc again then i'll get a refund. Im surprised at apple, never had any issues like this before my ipad 2 and previous iphones were pristine when they came out of the box.

Is it because this is seen as a 'entry level' apple tablet that this fault has occured? Or have a i just had a bad experience?

Thanks again for your input.

adnoh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2010
Definitely go back and get it sorted! They shouldn't give a defective product.

Mix1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
Leicester, UK
I'm going back to return it tomorrow. I showed it my partner and she dosen't think im being overly picky by returning it.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I'm going back to return it tomorrow. I showed it my partner and she dosen't think im being overly picky by returning it.

I would _definitely_ open it at the store vs. having to make another trip :) Though our Apple store is near a place we like to eat, so I'd probably make the excuse to "have" to drive back out :D

BTW, you should post pics so we can all call you crazy :D

Mix1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
Leicester, UK
I would _definitely_ open it at the store vs. having to make another trip :) Though our Apple store is near a place we like to eat, so I'd probably make the excuse to "have" to drive back out :D

BTW, you should post pics so we can all call you crazy :D

Haha, you all probably would! But it matters to me. I just don't know whether this is just what comes with the territory with iPad mini...

And yes i will open it in store, everyone has been saying that to me today! Haha.

Mix1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
Leicester, UK
A quick update for those of you that care.

Went into the Apple store today where i opened another ipad mini, that was marked out of the box, so they got me another one that was pretty much perfect. So i'm on my way home with it now happy :)

Overall great service. Thanks for everyones advice/opinions.

Hello...

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
A quick update for those of you that care.

Went into the Apple store today where i opened another ipad mini, that was marked out of the box, so they got me another one that was pretty much perfect. So i'm on my way home with it now happy :)

Overall great service. Thanks for everyones advice/opinions.

Congrats:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.