Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wille0n

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2006
Okay. I'm a new macbook pro user. I've been happy with it, except for the heating problem. I mean, I can live with it. After reading all this mumbo jumbo, I just got confused. As a mac AND computer (in general) newbie, this is my question: What can we do? other than opening up our notebooks (for computer illiterates as myself), is there anything effective we can do to have apple fix this? I downloaded the new SMC update and I don't see much change. I realized the May 20th movement happening and all, what were the results? I'd just like to be informed. thanks a bunch!

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Let Apple know that your MBP is running to hot. It burned you, and is this normal? Be sugar like, not abusive, and don't take no for an answer. Document the calls, and who you talk to, and if they arn't doing what you need to be done, hang up and get a different phone tech.

There is no reason to cook your gonads with your MacBook Pro.

marty99919

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2009
Lockup/Overheating Issue Resolved

I bought my Macbook Pro about 6 months ago and have used it everyday. Recently it started to occasionally lock up for no reason. Nothing would work and the only option was to do a hard reset by holding down the power button. After reading a lot of forums and paying attention to what was going on with my Macbook, I found what I think is the issue, at least in my situation. I am running Parallels with Vista in addition to everything else I use on the Mac. In my case the situation only happened after I boosted the energy saving option to higher performance and running Parallels. What I found is that the Macbook Pro runs hot and overheats. I solved this issue by installing a program called Fancontrol - http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23137 - It installs an Icon in your system preferences and allows you to dictate the minimum fan speed and control the fan speed slope to some degree. Since I have installed this, my Macbook runs cooler and I have yet to experience another lockup. I will keep you posted if this does not ultimately resolve my issue, but so far, so good.

TresMusical1020

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2013
Okay. I'm a new macbook pro user. I've been happy with it, except for the heating problem. I mean, I can live with it. After reading all this mumbo jumbo, I just got confused. As a mac AND computer (in general) newbie, this is my question: What can we do? other than opening up our notebooks (for computer illiterates as myself), is there anything effective we can do to have apple fix this? I downloaded the new SMC update and I don't see much change. I realized the May 20th movement happening and all, what were the results? I'd just like to be informed. thanks a bunch!

It's not bad if it heats up a little. Have you been on in for a while all in one time before? Mine heats up when I do that. But it should be okay. (and mine gets REALLY hot) But if you're Macbook Pro heats up so much that you feel you can no longer deal with it, call Apple, or go to Apple and ask them why it is doing that, and how it can be fixed if it can be fixed.:apple:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It's not bad if it heats up a little. Have you been on in for a while all in one time before? Mine heats up when I do that. But it should be okay. (and mine gets REALLY hot) But if you're Macbook Pro heats up so much that you feel you can no longer deal with it, call Apple, or go to Apple and ask them why it is doing that, and how it can be fixed if it can be fixed.:apple:
You just responded to a 7 year old post. The OP hasn't been on this forum since that was posted. It's very likely they don't even own the same Mac now.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
You just responded to a 7 year old post. The OP hasn't been on this forum since that was posted. It's very likely they don't even own the same Mac now.

This is why some forums auto-close threads that are a year old. :eek: Just sayin...

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
This is why some forums auto-close threads that are a year old. :eek: Just sayin...
I'd vote for that! Too often such threads are resurrected by spammers or for useless posts that add no value to the threads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.