Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mathcolo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
Boston
Hi everyone, as of recent I was given an institutional email account that's attached to Microsoft Exchange. I initially decided that using Mail.app was going to be fine, but I then discovered after doing some testing that it doesn't support message push (apparently because of its lack of support for Exchange ActiveSync).

So, that said, what do you all think is the best mail client for OSX that supports Exchange+push these days, and is <$20 or free?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Hi everyone, as of recent I was given an institutional email account that's attached to Microsoft Exchange. I initially decided that using Mail.app was going to be fine, but I then discovered after doing some testing that it doesn't support message push (apparently because of its lack of support for Exchange ActiveSync).

So, that said, what do you all think is the best mail client for OSX that supports Exchange+push these days, and is <$20 or free?
The answer to question depends on your version of your Exchange Server. If you need access to Exchange Server 2007 or later, then you have two options. Mail/Address Book/iCal are free with every installation of OS X. Microsoft Entourage EWS is a free upgrade from Entourage 2008. Microsoft Outlook 2011 is part of Office 2011.

If your Exchange Server is older than above, then your only option with an Intel-based Mac is Entourage 2008. What follows is a difficult concept for many people to grasp. Here goes: Every installation of Exchange Server is different. If the setup wizard does not get you a working connection, then you need to contact your IT staff.

That said, the Exchange Server setup in iOS just works. If you access your Server from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, then you don't have to worry about which version of Mail you have or which version of Exchange Server your firm uses.

RickyB

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
The answer to question depends on your version of your Exchange Server. If you need access to Exchange Server 2007 or later, then you have two options. Mail/Address Book/iCal are free with every installation of OS X. Microsoft Entourage EWS is a free upgrade from Entourage 2008. Microsoft Outlook 2011 is part of Office 2011.

If your Exchange Server is older than above, then your only option with an Intel-based Mac is Entourage 2008. What follows is a difficult concept for many people to grasp. Here goes: Every installation of Exchange Server is different. If the setup wizard does not get you a working connection, then you need to contact your IT staff.

That said, the Exchange Server setup in iOS just works. If you access your Server from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, then you don't have to worry about which version of Mail you have or which version of Exchange Server your firm uses.

I seem to remember that the installer for Office 2008 requires Rosetta, and hence won't work in Lion or later. Office 2008 still works in Lion, isn't just that the installer doesn't.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
apparently because of its lack of support for Exchange ActiveSync
IIRC desktop clients don't support ActiveSync.

First of all, define "best". Don't just assume that your notion of the best Exchange client is the same as everyone else's. Second, what version Exchange server?

Outlook 2011 works great for me but many here seem to dislike it and it certainly doesn't meet your $20 budget unless you have HUP as an option.

Last edited:

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
I seem to remember that the installer for Office 2008 requires Rosetta, and hence won't work in Lion or later. Office 2008 still works in Lion, isn't just that the installer doesn't.

I don't believe that's true. Office 2008 is an intel program, not PPC. Office 2004 required Rosetta to run on intel macs.

That said, Entourage is wonky. I wouldn't recommend using it. I've also heard of issues with Outlook 2011.

Mail has been good enough for me with my school exchange email. It pushes to my iPhone, and I can fetch when necessary on my MBP.

Miguel Cunha

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Braga, Portugal
What about Mail Maverics?

Will the next version of Mail in Maverics tackle this issue?

I've been waiting for it to be solved for years... :confused:

I'm not a developer so I don't know.

Thank you, in advance.

BayouTiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
New Orleans
I have never found anything wonky about Outlook 2011. Used it since it came out and I don't ever remember any significant glitches. I never liked using any of the OSX apps with Exchange, though I now use Kerio on the back end for my small business (20 users) and it has been flawless, and soooo much easier to admin. I would never return to Exchange. I actually have to thank MS for killing SBS and forcing me to see the light!

RickyB

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
I don't believe that's true. Office 2008 is an intel program, not PPC. Office 2004 required Rosetta to run on intel macs.

Office 2008 runs on Intel and PPC. The installer required Rosetta, at least for the first release. According to http://www.mactalk.com.au/11/72330-install-microsoft-office-2008-snow-leopard-without-rosetta.html there is a workaround.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Office 2008 runs on Intel and PPC. The installer required Rosetta, at least for the first release. According to http://www.mactalk.com.au/11/72330-install-microsoft-office-2008-snow-leopard-without-rosetta.html there is a workaround.

Hmm well I originally installed my copy on Leopard and then later upgraded to Snow Leopard.

RickyB

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
Hmm well I originally installed my copy on Leopard and then later upgraded to Snow Leopard.

And upgrading to Lion would have been fine too. It's just that early versions of the installer had issues if Rosetta wasn't installed.

JamersPad

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2011
UK
Will the next version of Mail in Maverics tackle this issue?

I've been waiting for it to be solved for years... :confused:

I'm not a developer so I don't know.

Thank you, in advance.

I have just download TouchDown by NitroDesk and this works! Hope this helps you

buckZor

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
Airmail app

Highly recommend you have a look at Airmail - http://airmailapp.com/. It is a VERY nice email client with native Exchange EWS support (Exchange Web Services explained). If you have at least Exchange 2007 on the back end it works pretty darn well, even better with Exchange 2010. You do have to know your EWS URL in order to get connected but thats USUALLY something like:
Code:
https://mydomain.com/EWS/Exchange.asmx

Airmail is under constant development, they are releasing updates all the time. The beta version is free and I am REALLY excited :D to see it get better and better. It's really fast, very clean interface, spam sieve support, lots of really nice features that I miss terribly when forced back to Outlook. IMHO it's not quite ready for primetime (meaning I'm not ready to put it out to my clients and friends/family) but soon..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.