Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 25, 2013, 02:57 AM   #26
Seamaster
macrumors 6502a
 
Seamaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
I swapped a 3 for a mini and haven't looked back.

The superior form factor trumps everything else.
__________________
MacBook Air 13" 128GB | iPad mini 16GB | iPhone 4S 16GB | Time Capsule 2TB | Apple TV 3
Seamaster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 05:41 AM   #27
nebrot
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: 北京 (Beijing)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxosx View Post
Not well.

Waiting for a retina equipped mini is best. I have a mini & an iPad 4, there's quite a difference. I will dump my low res mini the moment Apple puts a mini out with retina.

The text on many websites is too small & pixelated on the current model. Lucky to have 20/20 vision I can read anything, but it's not pleasant on my current mini.
Hmm, dont understand than... Why do you not dump it now, instead of waiting when a new model is on the market and you get less than now for it? This to me indicates you must quite use your mini, since you also state you have the 4. Of course the screen of the mini is different over the 4, but who knows when we will get retina - and then there will always be something new around the corner. It is up to the OP to decide what suits him, but the mini definately has its advantages, such as half the weight & quite less in size is the dealmaker for me...
__________________
2011 Mac Air i7 | iPhone 5S | iPad Air | iPad mini | iPod nano | ATV
nebrot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 05:46 AM   #28
Seamaster
macrumors 6502a
 
Seamaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
I'll be first in line for a retina mini, but I agree with Gruber's analysis of the recent results call — the margin in the mini is the lowest of any iOS device Apple sell, and they're unlikely to retina-fy it until the cost of retina screens comes down (cf. the much anticipated, but yet to appear, retina MacBook Air).
__________________
MacBook Air 13" 128GB | iPad mini 16GB | iPhone 4S 16GB | Time Capsule 2TB | Apple TV 3
Seamaster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 11:44 AM   #29
bigboar
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ohio
I dont have a 3 but I did have a mini before returning it for a 4. This is just my personal opinion but when I looked at the mini in the store I thought it looked pretty good and not much different than a retina screen. Once I got it home......I thought it was pretty bad. I would never even think about trading the 3 for a mini. The viewing experience in my opinion is the most important feature of a tablet and retina is by far a superior experience!!!!
__________________
Thanks for viewing my Signature!
bigboar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 02:48 PM   #30
TJ61
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamaster View Post
I'll be first in line for a retina mini, but I agree with Gruber's analysis of the recent results call — the margin in the mini is the lowest of any iOS device Apple sell, and they're unlikely to retina-fy it until the cost of retina screens comes down (cf. the much anticipated, but yet to appear, retina MacBook Air).
The only other option is that they raise the price of a retina mini, but I REALLY don't see that happening. I think it's more likely they'll skip the retina if they have to, to maintain the price point (maybe even get it down to $299 where I bet they wanted it in the first place???).

What they COULD do for the mini2 is give it better processing power to better handle gaming requirements. I think they have to keep more product separation between a mini and a full size due to the pricepoint separation, and if the mini has retina, it's just a screen size difference.

Regards,
Tom
TJ61 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 03:44 PM   #31
sbddude
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: So Cal, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ61 View Post
The only other option is that they raise the price of a retina mini, but I REALLY don't see that happening. I think it's more likely they'll skip the retina if they have to, to maintain the price point (maybe even get it down to $299 where I bet they wanted it in the first place???).

What they COULD do for the mini2 is give it better processing power to better handle gaming requirements. I think they have to keep more product separation between a mini and a full size due to the pricepoint separation, and if the mini has retina, it's just a screen size difference.

Regards,
Tom
Think about the complaints that reviewers and people have said about the mini. Most often it is the lack of retina. I've never heard complaints that it's too slow. I think apple would be making a big mistake by not putting retina in the mini 2. If they do want to get cost down, they could do retina for 329 and non-retina for 249 or 199.
__________________
13" MBP - 13" rMBP - 15" rMBP - Mini
iPad rMini 2 7.1.2 - Jailbroken - iPad Air 2 8.1 VZW
iPhone 6+ - iPhone 5S - T-Mobile
sbddude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 03:48 PM   #32
DesertEagle
macrumors 6502a
 
DesertEagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: /home @ 127.0.0.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbddude View Post
Think about the complaints that reviewers and people have said about the mini. Most often it is the lack of retina. I've never heard complaints that it's too slow.
But you will, once it goes retina.
DesertEagle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 04:53 PM   #33
maxosx
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrot View Post
Hmm, dont understand than... Why do you not dump it now, instead of waiting when a new model is on the market and you get less than now for it? This to me indicates you must quite use your mini, since you also state you have the 4. Of course the screen of the mini is different over the 4, but who knows when we will get retina - and then there will always be something new around the corner. It is up to the OP to decide what suits him, but the mini definately has its advantages, such as half the weight & quite less in size is the dealmaker for me...
I'm not an impulse buyer, nor am I so unhappy that I need to do something until the retina is out. My comments were just my honest experience.

I'm a very patient waiter & never take anything for granted. Fully aware it could be quite some time I'm fine with that.

Besides I give my Apple gear away to family members or friends. That's more satisfying to me than selling it.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 05:29 PM   #34
TJ61
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbddude View Post
Think about the complaints that reviewers and people have said about the mini. Most often it is the lack of retina.
That would be meaningful if the mini wasn't selling well in its current state, but it is. Everyone would like for the mini to be everything that the iPad is, just a little smaller. But "just a little smaller" does not get mfg costs down to the support the mini's price point. So where else can they differentiate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbddude View Post
I've never heard complaints that it's too slow.
Speed increase would just be to keep up -- it shouldn't lag the iPad5 any more than the current mini lags behind the iPad4. It still needs to run the same apps to an acceptable level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbddude View Post
I think apple would be making a big mistake by not putting retina in the mini 2. If they do want to get cost down, they could do retina for 329 and non-retina for 249 or 199.
Well, the big question is if they can get the cost of retina for a mini down enough. But "retina" isn't just the display; it's the battery and cpu/gpu. And, given that currently the mini is their lowest margin device at $329, do you really think that in a few months they will sell it for $249? Or $199?

Regards,
Tom
TJ61 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 07:46 AM   #35
skywalkerr69
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagcody View Post
Hello,

First off, I have a 16GB Verizon LTE iPad 3. I purchased it the day it came out. I have had my eye on the Mini for awhile. I recently found someone on Craigslist who has a 2 month old 64GB iPad Mini for trade.

I mainly use my iPad for media consumption/games and the occasional class notes, as I am a college student. The big thing for me is portability, and I know the iPad Mini is lighter. Does this seem like a good trade? Also, I don't use the LTE, as I have an iPhone 5 and use the personal hotspot feature.

Thanks!
Be patient and wait for the Retina iPad mini to come out. Plus the current mini has a crap processor.
__________________
Stockholder since 1998
skywalkerr69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 03:34 PM   #36
Badrottie
macrumors 68030
 
Badrottie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagcody View Post
Hello,

First off, I have a 16GB Verizon LTE iPad 3. I purchased it the day it came out. I have had my eye on the Mini for awhile. I recently found someone on Craigslist who has a 2 month old 64GB iPad Mini for trade.

I mainly use my iPad for media consumption/games and the occasional class notes, as I am a college student. The big thing for me is portability, and I know the iPad Mini is lighter. Does this seem like a good trade? Also, I don't use the LTE, as I have an iPhone 5 and use the personal hotspot feature.

Thanks!
If 64GB is all you care about then go for it.
__________________
That is OK to make fun of my poor english grammars just because you are bullying deaf people.
Badrottie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 11:39 PM   #37
cagcody
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
The person I was supposed to trade with backed out..... Guess I'll just wait for the Retina Mini/iPad 5...
cagcody is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 01:15 AM   #38
vmaniqui
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagcody View Post
The person I was supposed to trade with backed out..... Guess I'll just wait for the Retina Mini/iPad 5...
maybe he's been reading this thread..
vmaniqui is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 09:10 PM   #39
cualexander
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
I have been pondering this very topic as well. I have an iPad 3 and the only thing I don't like about it is the weight. The iPad 5 was rumored to be 15% thinner and 25% lighter, which, if true, would beat the Mini, in my opinion. I personally don't believe they will be able to make a retina mini that isn't at least somewhat thicker and heavier than the current one. It's all speculation at this point though.
cualexander is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 02:42 AM   #40
vmaniqui
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Keep your 3 but buy a mini. That way you've got the best of both worlds.
vmaniqui is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All iPads: T-Mobile offering iPad Air for $99 down and iPad Mini 2 $0 down; accepting trade-ins mj1108 iPad 259 Nov 1, 2013 10:51 AM
iPad Mini: Ugh, I'd honestly rather trade my full-size retina iPad for an iPad mini. Axmann iPad 31 May 23, 2013 04:08 PM
Trade iPad Mini for iPad 2? Gala iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 9 Mar 6, 2013 08:12 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:55 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC