Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
Is there a way to select all messages in the mail app? (ios 6, iphone 4S)? I can't seem to figure it out. Tapping on edit still makes me select each one...

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
You can actually. Click Edit. Check/press any message. Then, the delete, mark, and flag buttons become pressable. Press and hold(That's important) the one you want. Then uncheck the message you pressed. Then let go of the button you are holding. It will do the action to all of them.

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
You can actually. Click Edit. Check/press any message. Then, the delete, mark, and flag buttons become pressable. Press and hold(That's important) the one you want. Then uncheck the message you pressed. Then let go of the button you are holding. It will do the action to all of them.

Dear god, he's right! This does work. I stand very corrected!

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Dear god, he's right! This does work. I stand very corrected!

Having tested by flagging them all, it worked, but now I can't do the same to UNflag them all!?

edit: go to the separate flagged inbox to get the mass unflag option with above instructions :)

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Doesn't work for me.
I tried it as well and couldn't get it to work.

Are you sure you are doing it correctly? I've tried it on 3 devices (4S, iPad 1, iPad 2) and others on here have also confirmed. Here are some better directions:

1. Click Edit.
2. Tap on one email.
3. Tap and hold down on one of the three options (Delete, Move, Mark)
4. Untap the message that you checked earlier.
5. Let go of holding onto the option you decided on in step 3.
6. It will have all of the messages selected.

Hope this helps you guys out that couldn't get it before.

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England
lol. 10,000 emails sound like a little over kill. :D What's the oldest email in your inbox? :eek:

It's a mixture of emails from a handful of addresses (business and personal). The earliest email from these accounts is dated 1st December 2008: "Gmail is different. Here's what you need to know."

8a22a

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
Are you sure you are doing it correctly? I've tried it on 3 devices (4S, iPad 1, iPad 2) and others on here have also confirmed. Here are some better directions:

1. Click Edit.
2. Tap on one email.
3. Tap and hold down on one of the three options (Delete, Move, Mark)
4. Untap the message that you checked earlier.
5. Let go of holding onto the option you decided on in step 3.
6. It will have all of the messages selected.

Hope this helps you guys out that couldn't get it before.

Ok, it works with Mark, but if you hold down Delete a dialog box pops up.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Ok, it works with Mark, but if you hold down Delete a dialog box pops up.

Oh yeah ok cool. I didn't realize that before. It works with mark and move though, which is better then nothing I guess.

----------

It's a mixture of emails from a handful of addresses (business and personal). The earliest email from these accounts is dated 1st December 2008: "Gmail is different. Here's what you need to know."

Wow. I'm impressed. :eek: I haven't gotten more then a thousand emails since I got my email, let alone since 2008. :eek:

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
I usually need to select the most when deleting.

I can see mark as read as useful too though, when you haven't checked em recently or something. Still unquestionable that this should be included into iOS by default though.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
Does it not bother anyone else that you can't mark mail as read? Email has been around for what, 20 plus years now? And mark all as read has been a staple function for quite some time. It's these little things that apple refuses to do out of stubbornness or wish to be different. It certainly can't be that apple doesn't have the technical know how to implement such a feature.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
What am I reading here? Most of you complain to high heaven if your iDevice has a speck of dust on it or you carry it swaddling in shrink wrap yet your inbox contains hundreds of emails?

I have a personal and company account on my phone and rcv 75-150 emails a day, yet my emails are neatly tucked into their respective folders as soon as I handle them...only actionable pending emails remain in my inbox.

You people are a disgrace to OCD!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Does it not bother anyone else that you can't mark mail as read? Email has been around for what, 20 plus years now? And mark all as read has been a staple function for quite some time. It's these little things that apple refuses to do out of stubbornness or wish to be different. It certainly can't be that apple doesn't have the technical know how to implement such a feature.
Mark as read or unread is one of the options that's available.

GaresTaylan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2009
What am I reading here? Most of you complain to high heaven if your iDevice has a speck of dust on it or you carry it swaddling in shrink wrap yet your inbox contains hundreds of emails?

I have a personal and company account on my phone and rcv 75-150 emails a day, yet my emails are neatly tucked into their respective folders as soon as I handle them...only actionable pending emails remain in my inbox.

You people are a disgrace to OCD!

umad?

PReinie

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2012
Northbrook IL

I found that a bit hard to follow, but there is a really good video here for iOS 6
and instead of Mark all you can instead do the same with Delete.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.