Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 20, 2014, 05:41 PM   #126
ArthurWellsley
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
One thing I'm liking about WOT are all of these bonus xp programs (or whatever they are called) that throws out any where from 25-100k xp. I've been playing for 1.5 years and I want to say this is something that was not around when I first started.

Regarding XVM I looked at it a while back but could not find adequate documentation on how to configure it. I wanted to see player stats and it's projection of win/loss. One less thing to miss?
Automatic configuration based on tick boxes, very easy to use;

http://www.odemmortis.com/index.php?site=files&file=98
ArthurWellsley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 07:27 AM   #127
garnerx
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I'm getting a bit fed up of this game. I've only seen the new map from 8.11 one single time, and this latest version has really dark lighting that makes tanks look like silhouettes from certain angles. Servers have slowed down - played last night and got a 300ms ping, which is barely playable.

Matchmaking keeps putting my tier 3 tanks in with tier 5s, which isn't a great experience.

I'm still doing okay, though. I have 2,200 battles, 5,000 rating, 53% wins, 40% survival, 1.8 kill/death ratio across all tanks.
garnerx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2014, 01:17 PM   #128
Huntn
Thread Starter
macrumors G3
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
By the sounds of this forum.worldoftanks.com link it sounds like hit box skins have been made illegal as of v9.0, as far as the developers are concerned. I liked them, needing any advantage I can get. Anyone, know any different?
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2014, 07:36 AM   #129
SCOLANATOR
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: UK
Been playing since closed Beta. While definitely the servers have been pretty rocky recently a 300ms ping is probably due to problems on your end. I have never experienced a ping like that (except from the beta days when we had to use the Russian servers). I never go above 90ms while on WiFi and usually sit around 60ms.

Don't use hitbox skins, if you are needing to improve your performance use XVM, simply provides you with more information. Hitbox skins are pretty pathetic, I have learnt all the weak spots - most are inherent to each class or nation.

I like the 9.0 update, I play on my Mac and it runs well (I disable motion blur as well as grass in sniper mode).

Yeh I still remember the day x2 XP for first win of the day was introduced. My jaw nearly hit the floor. I do miss the days of old school WoT, good old ruskies vs germans, no physics, getting stuck all the time but boy was it fun.

Also Havok physics and some multicore support was introduced with 9.0. The tracks of all the HD models have Havok physics support I believe and it looks great. I have a few models in HD like the M103 and T-54. Can't wait to see the others!
__________________
Retina MacBook Pro 15 (Late 2013)
Core i7 4850HQ | 16GB RAM | Nvidia GT 750M 2GB | 512GB PCI-e SSD | OS X Yosemite + Win 7 x64
iPhone 5 S⃣ 16GB (Black)
SCOLANATOR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2014, 11:31 AM   #130
Huntn
Thread Starter
macrumors G3
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnerx View Post
I'm getting a bit fed up of this game. I've only seen the new map from 8.11 one single time, and this latest version has really dark lighting that makes tanks look like silhouettes from certain angles. Servers have slowed down - played last night and got a 300ms ping, which is barely playable.

Matchmaking keeps putting my tier 3 tanks in with tier 5s, which isn't a great experience.

I'm still doing okay, though. I have 2,200 battles, 5,000 rating, 53% wins, 40% survival, 1.8 kill/death ratio across all tanks.
I consider myself a duffer. Ten thousand battles and ( I think) an average win rate at 48%. I frequently make stupid mistakes like exposing myself to get a kill shot and frequently dying for that folly. Most frustrating is when PUG teams dissolve around me over and over. Now that I'm not using skins, I shoot for ports or hatches with good success. There are a few tanks that are actually better to shoot in the turret. I have a list of those.
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 08:57 AM   #131
garnerx
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I'm approaching 1,000 games in my FCM36 tank destroyer now. 57% wins in that, I think, and better than 3:1 kill ratio. There are so many tanks, I can't remember where the weakspots are. I try to destroy the tracks first, so I can kill them at my leisure.

Sometimes, though, tracking them is the best I can do - I've had matches with tier 6 vs tier 10, and that's just ridiculous. Even 3 vs 5 can be annoying. It's like being forced to play Call of Duty with a pistol against a bunch of people wearing kevlar vests and carring bazookas. I know you can still 'contribute' something but it's not much fun - the worst aspect of the game for me.

Haven't encountered any huge pings again recently, but everyone on the server was complaining about the 300ms one. Still think the new lighting engine is much too dark, and the sound is dreadful - surround doesn't seem to be supported, engines can barely be heard unless the camera is very close, and exploding tanks make a weedy 'pop' noise.
garnerx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 09:12 AM   #132
Huntn
Thread Starter
macrumors G3
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnerx View Post
I'm approaching 1,000 games in my FCM36 tank destroyer now. 57% wins in that, I think, and better than 3:1 kill ratio. There are so many tanks, I can't remember where the weakspots are. I try to destroy the tracks first, so I can kill them at my leisure.

Sometimes, though, tracking them is the best I can do - I've had matches with tier 6 vs tier 10, and that's just ridiculous. Even 3 vs 5 can be annoying. It's like being forced to play Call of Duty with a pistol against a bunch of people wearing kevlar vests and carring bazookas. I know you can still 'contribute' something but it's not much fun - the worst aspect of the game for me.

Haven't encountered any huge pings again recently, but everyone on the server was complaining about the 300ms one. Still think the new lighting engine is much too dark, and the sound is dreadful - surround doesn't seem to be supported, engines can barely be heard unless the camera is very close, and exploding tanks make a weedy 'pop' noise.
I don't care if it is a scout, I don't believe a 6 should ever be playing with a 10, although usually there are a few tanks you can pen and you can perform scout duties. I fave no idea why it's not a 3 tier spread always. Another critique, if I have not all ready mentioned it, although I accept it as a means of organizing a game, the tier system introduces a major artificiality to the game. I recently signed up for the Armored Warfare beta and am looking forward to see how they do it.
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 04:56 PM   #133
garnerx
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Being a scout isn't what I play the game for. I've seen people do it really well and get huge assist points, but I'm good at tank destroyers so that's what I want to play. When I get matched against higher tier tanks I'm handicapped by the game, so it spoils my fun.

I'd love to get a tier 10 tank, so at least I know that if I constantly bounce shots off the enemy then it's because of my lack of skill rather than the enemy being too tough for my gun. It's a long way off, though. Such a grind.

Armored Warfare looks interesting. From a maker of RPGs - I wonder how that will work out.
Edit: I see it's built with CryEngine - if nothing else it's going to look so much better than WoT.
garnerx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2014, 05:57 PM   #134
garnerx
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I finally uninstalled the game. I used to really like it but now it just makes me angry.

* The players are extremely unpleasant on the in-game chat - 'f u noob', 'idiot team', 'learn to play, retards', etc, etc...
* The matchmaking is terrible - today I saw a squad with tier 1 and tier 4, matched in a game of tier 7s.
* The graphics look much worse than before the last patch.
* At least 1 game in 3 has idle players or bots sitting at the base, shooting into the floor.
* The devs are always rebalancing (nerfing) something I liked.
* They've never fixed the performance - it still runs like a dog and the surround sound is broken (flicks between speakers, doesn't pan correctly)

And other reasons. I hit 1,000 games in the FCM36, though, so it's a good point to quit. Still have gold in my account, unfortunately. Maybe I'll return some day.
garnerx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2014, 10:49 AM   #135
Huntn
Thread Starter
macrumors G3
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnerx View Post
I finally uninstalled the game. I used to really like it but now it just makes me angry.

* The players are extremely unpleasant on the in-game chat - 'f u noob', 'idiot team', 'learn to play, retards', etc, etc...
* The matchmaking is terrible - today I saw a squad with tier 1 and tier 4, matched in a game of tier 7s.
* The graphics look much worse than before the last patch.
* At least 1 game in 3 has idle players or bots sitting at the base, shooting into the floor.
* The devs are always rebalancing (nerfing) something I liked.
* They've never fixed the performance - it still runs like a dog and the surround sound is broken (flicks between speakers, doesn't pan correctly)

And other reasons. I hit 1,000 games in the FCM36, though, so it's a good point to quit. Still have gold in my account, unfortunately. Maybe I'll return some day.
I'm not ready to quit, but I have applied for the Armored Warfare beta which should start this year. The T1+T4 platoon example was a failed platoon. You can't blame the match maker if the Tier 4 tank was a light tank, because the upper tank in the platoon was matched to a standard 4 tier (scout) spread. And I have been known to criticize my team with "idiot" and "noob" if they are doing obviously idiotic and/or noobish things.

Like leaving a flank undefended or with an encounter battle in town, all heavies should report to the vicinity of the flag, not be running around the perimeter of the map, not playing in the field or in the pass. This is not a blanket rule, but based on specific maps of which their names elude me. I watched this the other day and despite encouragement, the match was lost by the time the 2 heavies finally got to where the battle was taking place.

For this map, in encounter mode with flag in town, the fight is definitely in town. To often tanks in the pass get bogged down while the battle is decided in town:
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.

Last edited by Huntn; May 23, 2014 at 11:10 AM. Reason: typo
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2014, 07:41 PM   #136
Huntn
Thread Starter
macrumors G3
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
I'd like to know if there is anyone playing WoT on a MacBook Air (Bootcamp) what kind of performance do you get? Thanks!
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2014, 08:17 AM   #137
Plutonius
macrumors 601
 
Plutonius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
Played this game last night for the first time. Considering the focus it's a great game.
I just watched the anime "Girls und Panzer" on Crunchyroll. After watching it, you definitely feel like playing some "World of Tanks" .

Edit: Think of it as a cross between a girl's high school, the movie "The Bad News Bears" and competition between WWII tanks. They used 3DCGI modeling for parts of the tank battles and did a good job modeling the interior/operation and exterior of the different tank models. In one battle, a Japanese type 89B shot point blank into the rear of a Matilda and couldn't kill it .

Last edited by Plutonius; Sep 18, 2014 at 01:51 PM.
Plutonius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2015, 08:23 AM   #138
Huntn
Thread Starter
macrumors G3
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyharry50 View Post
I've heard very good things about this game and watched some video of tank battles. It does look like it would be fun. However, as you noted I would expect to have to pay money for a fully enjoyable experience. I've yet to see a f2p game I'd play for free because they always cut enough to get you to pay. I guess I cannot blame them. How can they stay in business if nobody pays to play? Anyway, it's nice you can give it a good test drive and get a good feel for if it is something you'd enjoy and so not mind paying for.

Does this have a native Mac version? It's been a while since I looked at it and I can't remember.
I was looking back over old posts...

I've come to realize most people once they are hooked, pay for something, either premium which can be by the month or in smaller incriments or to get premium tanks. Premium tanks for the most part are not any better than earned tanks, but some of them do have advantages, like the Super Pershing which has more armor than the regular Pershing. In most cases an advantage in one area, means a lesser stat in another area- such as more armor, but less powerful gun. What's makes them primarily different is the formula applied to them which makes them consistently earn more xp and silver (credits) in battles. And they can also be used to accelerate the experience gains of other tank crews that normally reside in your earned tanks, as long as they are trained in the same tank class and country. This is important because not only does it help crews train quicker, but assists in the purchase of your next earned tank. I've probably spent more money in this game than any subscription game I've ever played.
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.

Last edited by Huntn; Jan 28, 2015 at 08:40 AM.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2015, 08:37 AM   #139
Huntn
Thread Starter
macrumors G3
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
Fury Movie Spoilers

Any WoT players see Fury? Wondering what you thought?

It reduces tank warfare from what seems to be tons of strategy (in my favorite current game) to mostly brute strength. Drive across a field, get shot at, return fire. Or sit in ambush. Kill or be killed. The M4 Sherman did not appear to be nearly as maneuverable as in-game M4s which really means nothing. WoT has a lot of artificiality built into it. Including how much damage that can be taken before your tank goes boom.

The battlefield environments in WoT seem reasonable. I just don't see in real life quite so many opportunities to joust as you can in-game although I saw parallels. When they flank the Tiger, that seemed like a heck of a lot of work. 2 penetrations and the tank was dead. WoT takes more work. I wonder what it feels like in a real tank when it's hit by AP or Heat, but does not penetrate? I wonder if in real life there were ever opportunities for a smaller faster tank to drive circles around a larger slower tank shooting it until it was dead?
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.

Last edited by Huntn; Jan 28, 2015 at 08:43 AM.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2015, 01:35 PM   #140
QuantumLo0p
macrumors 6502a
 
QuantumLo0p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
I was looking back over old posts...

...And they can also be used to accelerate the experience gains of other tank crews that normally reside in your earned tanks, as long as they are trained in the same tank class and country. This is important because not only does it help crews train quicker, but assists in the purchase of your next earned tank. I've probably spent more money in this game than any subscription game I've ever played.
I have a Super Pershing and it makes money even when I lose a battle. When I win a battle and have good game the credits this thing makes is crazy. There are players who criticize people who buy premiums because they are jealous you can start out with a decent vehicle, not great, but decent and with a 100% crew. My main reason to buy a Super Pershing was to grind credits which is exactly what is does quite nicely.

As for crew training I think a buddy of mine is training a crew using his super pershing prem, fury prem and his Easy Eight because I think you can put crews into the premium vehicles without penalties...?
__________________
Mid-2010 Mini, 8GB ram, 23" ACD.
Custom build: Liquid cooled i7-3930K@4.8Ghz, 32GB ram, Samsung ssd with ram cache, GTX680x2 SLI, 3-way SLI soon...
QuantumLo0p is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2015, 02:01 PM   #141
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God
 
LethalWolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Los Angeles
I have the 360 version and love it. I mainly play as light tanks and the game is certainly fun (and upgrades are attainable) eveb if you don't pay any money. After a couple months playing I paid $60 for some gold but I did so to support the devs, not because I needed the gold to get ahead. If you make a game this fun, especially one that's free to play, you deserve to get money in put in the tip jar!
__________________
Looking For Lenny - documentary about comedian Lenny Bruce's timeless impact on stand-up comedy & Free Speech.
Netflix, iTunes, Amazon, Hulu
LethalWolfe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2015, 03:32 PM   #142
Huntn
Thread Starter
macrumors G3
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumLo0p View Post
I have a Super Pershing and it makes money even when I lose a battle. When I win a battle and have good game the credits this thing makes is crazy. There are players who criticize people who buy premiums because they are jealous you can start out with a decent vehicle, not great, but decent and with a 100% crew. My main reason to buy a Super Pershing was to grind credits which is exactly what is does quite nicely.

As for crew training I think a buddy of mine is training a crew using his super pershing prem, fury prem and his Easy Eight because I think you can put crews into the premium vehicles without penalties...?
Yes, you should be using another US medium tank crew in your Soper Pershing unless that is your only US Premium. Use the crew transfer function to make it quick and painless! There is no penalty and whatever crew you use will benefit from accelerated xp accrual that the Premium has. WarGaming has said that is a prime reason to go with a premium vehicle.


Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalWolfe View Post
I have the 360 version and love it. I mainly play as light tanks and the game is certainly fun (and upgrades are attainable) eveb if you don't pay any money. After a couple months playing I paid $60 for some gold but I did so to support the devs, not because I needed the gold to get ahead. If you make a game this fun, especially one that's free to play, you deserve to get money in put in the tip jar!
You'll find unless you are a stellar tanker, that above L7 without premium it is a longer slog, but maybe you are the ace of the base.
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2015, 05:53 PM   #143
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God
 
LethalWolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
You'll find unless you are a stellar tanker, that above L7 without premium it is a longer slog, but maybe you are the ace of the base.
On the 360 version it's only been in the past 2-3 months I think that light tanks above Tier 5 have been available (not totally sure as I haven't been able to play much recently). I've been rockin' the Chaffee for a while but it might be time to get back into that new-tank grind. I'll probably drop some cash to easy the pain, but like I said in my previous post, I think WarGaming had done a great job with WoT so I'm okay throwing money their way every now and then.
__________________
Looking For Lenny - documentary about comedian Lenny Bruce's timeless impact on stand-up comedy & Free Speech.
Netflix, iTunes, Amazon, Hulu
LethalWolfe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2015, 06:58 PM   #144
RoboWarriorSr
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
I'm playing the Blitz version and from what it seems, its a much easier to grind than the PC version. Got most of my tanks to Tier 7 (have about 7 lines or so) can't wait to get to Tier 8 on a few of them. I really want to try some of the Japanese and French tanks due to their autoloaders but they probably won't be in the game for while for balancing reasons. The British lines are quite unique with their high fire rate and low damage.
RoboWarriorSr is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Tags
multiplayer, tank, tanks, world of tanks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[FREE] World War Tanks crosshairgames iPhone and iPod touch Apps 2 Apr 9, 2014 11:53 PM
OS X: World of Tanks on Mac :) costabunny Mac and PC Games 8 Mar 2, 2014 06:05 AM
Windows: Planetside 2 Vs World of Tanks Huntn Mac and PC Games 2 Apr 20, 2013 12:04 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2015, MacRumors.com, LLC