Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fuith

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2011
Tralee, Co. Kerry, Ireland
Hi folks, I can't get my iMac to connect via an ethernet cable. Wireless is fine, I've tried a different cable which I know works, so I know it's not the cable or the router. Any ideas anyone?

Fuith

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2011
Tralee, Co. Kerry, Ireland
Seems to be working now. It was set to auto, but every time I started the mac it came up with an IP conflict. I then set it up manually, with the same result. Then I set it with auto with manual address, which seems to work. At least it rules out a hardware problem.

iWaiting

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2012
if you had just unplugged your old mac and connected your new one then that is the normal thing to happen

always turn off the modem/router then on again this is to allow the renewal of the lease between the mac and the router/modem it would have done it by itself if you had waited about 4 hours

sajakea

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2012
If you have Mac Filtering enabled on your router you'll need to manually add the wi-fi address of any device you want to give access to. Check your router settings. This little step stumps me every time I go to add another device to my network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.