Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soamz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Orissa, India
I know. I have done many time machine restores in the past.

Not sure, why its failing this time. Totally frustrated.

Well, I formatted the whole MacBook Pro today .

Now clicked on command R and reached the Internet recovery. Then reached the utilities page and formatted the SSD.

Then clicked on restore from time machine backup there , but it says, no system backup found.

Why is that ?

Does the mean, time machines only work after the OS is installed ?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Does the mean, time machines only work after the OS is installed ?

A Time Machine backup made with Lion or better can completely restore to a blank disk. Plug in the TM disk and option key boot, then select the TM disk as the boot source. That will bring up a screen that looks like the recovery screen you get with command-r. From there you can erase with Disk Util then restore.

If you do not see the TM as a boot source, then perhaps your TM disk/backup is bad. Based on your earlier problems you mentioned, this is certainly possible.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Wait...

A Time Machine backup made with Lion or better can completely restore to a blank disk. Plug in the TM disk and option key boot, then select the TM disk as the boot source. That will bring up a screen that looks like the recovery screen you get with command-r. From there you can erase with Disk Util then restore.

If you do not see the TM as a boot source, then perhaps your TM disk/backup is bad. Based on your earlier problems you mentioned, this is certainly possible.

Really? Thought you couldn't do that with a TM backup. Huh.

soamz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Orissa, India
I did that way and the Time Machine did show as a Startup disk fine.

Then I went here and did this and got this :(

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.