Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StuddedLeather

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Brooklyn, NYC
It's hardly an issue. For the same price of taking the train to downtown I can go to soho or the 5th ave store. Now for people out in the suburbs or country, location and proximity is far more important.

We're not saying it's an issue, we understand our city already has 4 Apple stores. And as for "for the same price of getting Downtown, I could go to SoHo..." Everyone doesn't like to go into Manhattan for everything. Especially when it's flooded with tourist! (no offense to visitors :))

But that's not the point. When Apple brings a store to Brooklyn all we're saying is that they are other places in the borough that's better (both visually and accessibility) than Williamsburg.

4 stores in our city already, nice. But we also have 8.4 Million people that live here. 4 just isn't enough! I love Apple and I'm from Brooklyn, I'm just dying for a store in my borough. :eek:

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
Come on Apple! If you're giving Brooklyn it's store make sure the location is feasible for everyone lol

pretty sure williamsburg has more mac owners per capita than anywhere else on the planet.

mikey's would probably go out of business if apple opened a store here though..that's no good

(fwiw, mikey's tried a store in dumbo a year or two ago.. it lasted about a year.. not sure if an apple store would do so well down there either.
http://mikeyshookup.com/blog/#/bl/1205-mikey-and-dumbo-broke-up/ )

----------

When Apple brings a store to Brooklyn all we're saying is that they are other places in the borough that's better (both visually and accessibility) than Williamsburg.

williamsburg has the L
you know, the same train that ends at the w14th store 5 stops away :)

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
The WTC site is in Tribeca, not the financial district. And it's not so dead in the area after 5. I work a block away.

Yea also considering it will be a mall and a transportation hub, memorial, museum, park, plus a major tourist attraction as an important moment of history and tragedy occurred there's no way it'll ever be empty.

----------

pretty sure williamsburg has more mac owners per capita than anywhere else on the planet.

mikey's would probably go out of business if apple opened a store here though..that's no good

(fwiw, mikey's tried a store in dumbo a year or two ago.. it lasted about a year.. not sure if an apple store would do so well down there either.
http://mikeyshookup.com/blog/#/bl/1205-mikey-and-dumbo-broke-up/ )

----------

williamsburg has the L
you know, the same train that ends at the w14th store 5 stops away :)

So, the point is there's no way to feasibly get to williamsburg in an efficient way ie there's no subway connection crosstown through Brooklyn from williamsburg man I've always hated that, we don't all live in manhattan so we don't all necessarily want to circle around it just to get to williamsburg. It's quite pointless for anyone living in any other neighborhood in Brooklyn.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
So, the point is there's no way to feasibly get to williamsburg in an efficient way ie there's no subway connection crosstown through Brooklyn from williamsburg man I've always hated that, we don't all live in manhattan so we don't all necessarily want to circle around it just to get to williamsburg. It's quite pointless for anyone living in any other neighborhood in Brooklyn.

depends on where it's at but the crosstown G has a wburg stop at metropolitan or transfers to the L.. lots of busses go through there too.

but i was just sort of making a joke though.. the w14th apple store is already fast/easy to get to from williamsburg (and soho or 5th ave isn't that bad either).. if i lived in red hook or park slope etc, it'd be nice to have an apple store down there because it's more of a trek to get to one.

Last edited:

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
It's hardly an issue. For the same price of taking the train to downtown I can go to soho or the 5th ave store. Now for people out in the suburbs or country, location and proximity is far more important.

Well, it would still be nice to get at least one, if not two Apple stores in Brooklyn. A downtown location accessible to several neighborhoods & subway lines would probably be a good start for Apple. Eventually, a store for Williamsburg and maybe one more store (Kings Plaza?).

dumb terminal

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego, CA
Just one correction, only one of the new towers at the World Trade Center is designed by Foster and Partners. Two World Trade Center (200 Greenwich Street), was designed by Foster, but the other two towers are by different architects.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Financial District is dead after 5:00pm. If I ever need a Genius Bar appointment, I am coming here.

Huh? You do know that majority if buildings in Fidi are being converted into residential right? Granted its not midtown, it's decent . Wait until construction is done

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
That will make 6 or seven stores in New York City.

You gotta wonder what will happen to those stores when the bubble deflates.

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
How best to remember a tragedy and canonize the remains but with consumerism...

bmunge

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
How best to remember a tragedy and canonize the remains but with consumerism...

Is this comment a joke? Are you unaware of the two massive monuments in the footprints of the old towers? Or perhaps the memorial museum that is in the works? The WTC complex is massive and in one of the largest business centers in the world. Of course there will be retail space... Duh.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
I'm beginning to think that Calatrava is a bit of a hack, or at the very least is getting a little repetitive. This looks a lot like the interior of the Milwaukee Art Museum and its Brise Soleil.

All architects tend to have a personal theme in all their designs. It's like seeing a Frank Lloyd Wright design. As with any artist's painting, they all have a similarity. It's unusual for Calatrava to design something that isn't next to water.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
There's a "G" train? I thought it was an urban legend. :D

You do realize there was a large transit and shopping complex in the old WTC site, right? Don't see how replacing it is some sort of crass, consumerist money grab. It's simply called "rebuilding" in this case.

Hmm, I can't quite see Park Slope supporting an Apple Store. The Boerum Hill / Atlantic Avenue location would be more convenient for far more people.

And yeah, can't really fault Calatrava for having a signature style. Maybe Frank Gehry is a hack because he simply wraps everything in sheets of titanium.

infinitech

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2012
Is this comment a joke? Are you unaware of the two massive monuments in the footprints of the old towers? Or perhaps the memorial museum that is in the works? The WTC complex is massive and in one of the largest business centers in the world. Of course there will be retail space... Duh.

Negativity can be infectious, friend. Don't let one comment get you down. I appreciated the use of the site and the memorial.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.