Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
I'm considering buying a MBA to replace my 2009 MBP and found one on Amazon shipped and sold by Amazon itself for $30 off the price of the same spec model on the Apple Store. It lists the OS as 10.7 though, not 10.8. Buying via Amazon would also save me money on tax because I wouldn't have to pay any sales tax, which adds up when it costs $1,139.00.

Question is: Amazon links AppleCare as an optional purchase. If I buy from there, will the computer be registered and show up in Apple's system considering I didn't buy it from them? I also didn't know retailers were able to discount Apple's products, which is why you see these buy an iPad and get a gift card offers, because Apple doesn't allow them to reduce the actual price of the product.

I mainly want to know if I would encounter problems if I were to have to take the computer in to be repaired at some point. Is the old OS a problem? Is it recommended to upgrade to 10.8 and if so, how much would it cost me?

aeboi

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2009
Bay Area
Buying from an authorized retailer is no different from buying from Apple aside from return policies so you can get it serviced from any Apple store regardless of whether you bought it from Amazon or an Apple store. Same goes for Applecare, it can be applied to the laptop without issue.

It should also qualify for a free upgrade to Mountain Lion.
http://www.apple.com/osx/uptodate/

oldtime

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
Also, if you don't need the computer right away, wait a week for BF/CM and it'll likely be either $999 or $1049 as it was last year.

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Also, if you don't need the computer right away, wait a week for BF/CM and it'll likely be either $999 or $1049 as it was last year.

Oooh, thanks for the tip.:) Can afford to wait and per your advice, will do so. You're talking about the price on Amazon, right?

oldtime

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
Oooh, thanks for the tip.:) Can afford to wait and per your advice, will do so. You're talking about the price on Amazon, right?

Yeah, I believe Best Buy originally dropped the price to that level, and Amazon price-matched as is their policy when enough people request them to. Best Buy is already advertising the 13" MBA at $1025 for BF, so you should at least be able to snag it at that price when Amazon price-matches. Be forewarned, though, that Amazon's prices will fluctuate over the holiday weekend and there's usually only a window of 3-4 hours when they are at their nadir before bumping back up by 5% or so.

anutharoundu

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2011
I'm so tempted to upgrade. I'm just hoping there are some even better sales if I wait.
54.gif

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
When you purchase from another retailer, like Amazon, the warranty will still be valid. However, what you may see is that some of the warranty has already expired when you check it on Apple's site - so a month may have expired already for example.

All you need to do is provide Apple with your invoice/receipt and they will change this information to the date when you first purchased the system, so you get full warranty. the last time I did this I just scanned and emailed them my receipt and they changed it on their system so I got the full 1 year warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.