Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

USB123

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Ireland
I'm about to buy the base Mac mini and currently have a Philips 15" monitor with VGA connection. Is it this adapter I need to connect the mini to the monitor?: http://store.apple.com/ie/product/MB572Z/B/mini-displayport-to-vga-adapter?fnode=51
I assume the Mini DisplayPort is compatible with the Thunderbolt connection on the back of the mini?

Sorry for the question, I just need to know if this the correct one!

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
Hi.
Yes that will do the job. You could however get a cheaper version such as this one
http://www.amazon.co.uk/DisplayPort...D5OE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1355525884&sr=8-3

I bought the tb to dvi adapter for about £5 and it works perfectly.

While that is cheaper always read the reviews on non apple accessories - that one only has five reviews...

Most are OK, but there are some really sour ones out there - you've been warned.

I always buy Apple kit - think it's worth it in the long run.

USB123

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Ireland
While that is cheaper always read the reviews on non apple accessories - that one only has five reviews...

Most are OK, but there are some really sour ones out there - you've been warned.

I always buy Apple kit - think it's worth it in the long run.

I agree, thanks for the above advice, I'll get the official Apple adapter, its just for piece of mind and they are of much better quality. I will be using my old Logitech mouse though, very comfy and easy to use! Got the Apple wired keyboard at my local Premium reseller, very sleek!

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
I agree, thanks for the above advice, I'll get the official Apple adapter, its just for piece of mind and they are of much better quality. I will be using my old Logitech mouse though, very comfy and easy to use! Got the Apple wired keyboard at my local Premium reseller, very sleek!

+1 for the apple wired kbd, it's a the best keyboard for it's price out there. Come to think of it I have a logitech mouse too! I get through mice quite quicky and so just have a cheap one :)

USB123

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Ireland
+1 for the apple wired kbd, it's a the best keyboard for it's price out there. Come to think of it I have a logitech mouse too! I get through mice quite quicky and so just have a cheap one :)

They do make great mice! Looking forward to the mini, my first Mac and also the last Mac I properly used was an eMac back in 2007!

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
They do make great mice! Looking forward to the mini, my first Mac and also the last Mac I properly used was an eMac back in 2007!

My first mac was an iBook g4 in 2005, back in primary school - ohh the memories!

I'm sure you'll love the mini.

USB123

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Ireland
My first mac was an iBook g4 in 2005, back in primary school - ohh the memories!

I'm sure you'll love the mini.

The first Mac I used was the Bondi Blue iMac G3 in 1998! Our school had a licence with Apple to use them. We also had a good few old Macintosh 128K's, my teacher tried to sell them to me for €50 as they were no longer using them! Looking back, I should have got one, might have got a vintage price for it now!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.