Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:19 PM   #1
iBreatheApple
macrumors 68020

Anyone feel Safari navigation should be on the bottom?

Because of the ideal size of the Mini, I find myself holding it a lot more like a phone than my iPad. My hands and fingers always tend to be at the bottom of the device in portrait mode and it seems such a hassle (FWP) to readjust my hands to navigate forward and back in Safari. Anyone else feel the same?

Last edited by iBreatheApple; Dec 30, 2012 at 10:10 AM. Reason: #grammarfail
iBreatheApple is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:25 PM   #2
cnguyen0320
macrumors regular

The point was it to run the iPad software. You can't move the navigation for the mini to the bottom without moving the full iPad's navigation to the bottom also. With all the other full iPad features you get, i don't think this is much to fuss about. Compromise.
cnguyen0320 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:31 PM   #3
Mjmar
macrumors 65816

I like that idea. I really think Apple should allow slight variations in apps between the mini and regular iPad. If the developer doesn't want to do anything, then fine, but if they want to make apps that were originally made for a 10 inch screen slightly more usable on a 7.9 inch screen they should be able to!
Mjmar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:33 PM   #4
ritmomundo
macrumors 68000

I think the navigation buttons (specifically back, forward, and home) should be on the bottom of the screen, or in the top RIGHT corner. Most people are right handed (meaning they hold the ipad with their left hand and navigate with the right), and reaching completely across the screen to go back a page doesn't feel natural or efficient.
ritmomundo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:34 PM   #5
hyteckit

I wish you can just swipe up and get the navigation on the bottom. Then auto-hides after you tap on one of the buttons.
hyteckit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:36 PM   #6
iBreatheApple
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritmomundo View Post
I think the navigation buttons (specifically back, forward, and home) should be on the bottom of the screen, or in the top RIGHT corner. Most people are right handed (meaning they hold the ipad with their left hand and navigate with the right), and reaching completely across the screen to go back a page doesn't feel natural or efficient.
Exactly. Out of any position, I feel it's set in the least desirable place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnguyen0320 View Post
The point was it to run the iPad software. You can't move the navigation for the mini to the bottom without moving the full iPad's navigation to the bottom also. With all the other full iPad features you get, i don't think this is much to fuss about. Compromise.
Don't AT&T, Verizon, etc. have slightly different variations to their software because of available features? I don't see why they couldn't... I highly doubt the iPad and the Mini run the same exact ipsw package, though I could be wrong, that's just a guess.

For example, an AT&T customer won't see the below image but a Verizon one would.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	386261  
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:10 PM   #7
slffl
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBreatheApple View Post
Because of the ideal size of the Mini, I find myself holding it a lot more like a phone than my iPad. My hands and fingers always tend to be at the bottom of the device in portrait mode and it seems such a hassle (FWP) to readjust my my hands to navigate forward and back in Sadari. Anyone else feel the same?
Yes I agree iPad navigation in general should be on the bottom. Apps such as Flipboard need to move their navigation to the bottom as well.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:26 PM   #8
Hamburger
macrumors regular

the newspaper I subscribe to via the iPad has moved the navigation to the bottom in its last update. Its much better!
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:46 PM   #9
jeme
macrumors regular

What newspaper is that? Thanks
128GB iPad Air LTE
jeme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:53 PM   #10
jmgregory1
macrumors 6502a

I added the Mercury browser specifically because I don't like having to move my hand up to manage navigation forwards and back. It allows you to have a toolbar on the bottom of the screen AND to you can swipe forwards and back as well.
jmgregory1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:57 PM   #11
Hamburger
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeme View Post
What newspaper is that? Thanks
german paper süddeutsche zeitung. they moved navigation from top to bottom two weeks ago after many users requested it. but i don't whether the requests came fro mini users.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:58 PM   #12
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Having them on the top is not a big deal to me.
ucfgrad93 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:02 PM   #13
BHP41
macrumors 6502a

doesn't bother me at all right now. Never really thought about it being any where else to be honest. If they change navigation on the iPad I'd like to see two finger swipe(Safari OSX) added instead of them moving the bar.
BHP41 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:42 PM   #14
iBreatheApple
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHP41 View Post
doesn't bother me at all right now. Never really thought about it being any where else to be honest. If they change navigation on the iPad I'd like to see two finger swipe(Safari OSX) added instead of them moving the bar.
Do you have a Mini or an original iPad?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:48 PM   #15
BHP41
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Do you have a Mini or an original iPad?
Both, iPad 3 and a mini
BHP41 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:52 PM   #16
mebehere
macrumors member

Should be on the bottom. Just like the iPhone.
mebehere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:38 PM   #17
ditzy
macrumors 65816

My immediate thought was that you would accidentally go back and forward all the time. I think that it would make it more frustrating rather than less.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:13 PM   #18
cnguyen0320
macrumors regular

Quote:

Don't AT&T, Verizon, etc. have slightly different variations to their software because of available features? I don't see why they couldn't... I highly doubt the iPad and the Mini run the same exact ipsw package, though I could be wrong, that's just a guess.

For example, an AT&T customer won't see the below image but a Verizon one would.
Well yeah. It's different *added* software for the cellular models but what your asking for is a modification of software. Sure it wouldn't be hard for apple to do something like that but Apple doesn't want to because they want to keep it as close to the full iPad experience as possible. It also means more coding work because of more models. Right now the iPad mini is a shrunken iPad (full) which means the code is the same. By modifying something like this that means coding for another device. With everything else being the same as the big iPad, it makes more sense to not have to go through the trouble of having to add something like that. It's more convenient for them even though it is less for you.
cnguyen0320 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:32 PM   #19
1rottenapple
macrumors 65816

Yah you try atomic browser. They have the navigation buttons on the bottom and its actually helpful. Wish the back buttons were down there.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:36 PM   #20
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Prefer it at the top.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad