Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:59 AM   #1
jhonster
macrumors newbie

Re: iphone 5, 4s & 4. Do I need to jailbreak/Unlock, etc?

Hello all. New to this forum. Was hoping someone might have the skinny on all this confusing stuff.

I've been researching the iP5, iP4s &iP4's. Calling the different carriers here in the U.S. (Verizon, AT&T, etc.). I've got an AT&T iP4 that I plan on taking to the Philippines next Saturday to give to my fiance' (and use while I'm there). I pretty sure I'm going to buy a new iP5 (CDMA/GSM capable) & an iP4s for mom (also dual band). Verizon had told me that iP5's come unlocked already from them (which I verified via a news release on the net). So I'm going to assume I can use that in the Philippines by just buying a nano-sim card & installing it for the time I'm there. So, my only real dilemma is my iP4. I guess I need to get it factory unlocked. It's the last month of my 2 year contract, and the contract will be over while I'm in the Philippines.....so I can't do the factory unlock via AT&T (especially since I don't meet the criteria of having bought the phone full price).

There are soooooo many services out there to unlock an iP4 out there. Does anybody have any personal experience with a particular company and had good results with unlocking an iP4? 2ndly....do I need to install evasi0n for any reason other than being able to "tweek" the phone if I wanted? I want to keep the phone as reliable as possible for my fiance' since she's not that "techy". But since I figured I should upload the newest version if iOS (6.1.1), will I still need to install evasi0n as well for any reason?

I've downloaded the new itunes and have backed up the phone on my desktop as well as my laptop just in case something does south with having to do any kind of software changes and updates.

Thanks in advance for your input. It's greatly appreciated. John.
jhonster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:43 AM   #2
dhlizard
macrumors G3

AT&T iPhones can be IMEI unlocked by grey market vendor for about $5

Look for thread here "IMEI Unlocks" for loads of recommendations on safe unlocking vendors

Look for me here Jailbreak/Unlock Chart
dhlizard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:48 AM   #3
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a

AT&T doesn't required you to have paid full price to be eligible for an unlock. They do require you to complete the 2 years of the contract or terminate early and pay the ETF.
bohbot16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks