Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shobberz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2013
Hello guys nice to be here!

First of all I'm new to the apple scene and have always been a bit of an Apple hater for no reason really but its great to finally have bought myself an Apple system and experience really how brilliant they are.

Ive got the MBA 13' i5 1.8ghz (2.8 turbo) 4gb, 128gb SSD, Intel 4000.

Like above its my first time ever to even use a Mac device so everything is completely new so its great to almost learn new things again as I consider myself as a really great Windows user, software knowledge and hardware.

So first thing I have done is installed on my new Mac, Office 13, CS6 extended, and also running Parallels 7 with Windows 7 32bit just so I have the option there for platform particular applications and programs. Having the 2 OS running in coherence is amazing and am stunned by it, it runs flawlessly.

Anyway I have now just seen the ability of the thunderbolt port and I have decided I want to use my MBA as a desktop for on the move, so could anyone help me in regards to what components I'm going to need to convert my desk into a apple set up using my MBA as simply a turn on/off unit, and been able to take it out with me in a heartbeat as I have no clue.

Would I be best off with a thunderbolt adapter and connect external devices eg. display, wireless trackpad and my external 2tb USB 3.0 to it?

Any help? as of now I literally have nothing but my MBA and a computer desk, great to be here and look forward to visiting these forums regularly!

Stefan

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
I guess that depends on how much you want to spend and whether you already have a display.

Apple's Thunderbolt Display is actually a display and a docking station all in one. It has Ethernet, Firewire, and USB ports on the back that you could use to plug in your other peripherals. I don't think that it has USB 3.0 ports yet, it will probably be updated in the near future:

http://www.apple.com/displays/

There's also the Belkin Thunderbolt Dock which just started shipping:

http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F4U055

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
This is excellent advice.

One of many advantages is the trouble free, fast & easy setup. A system like this while a bit pricey is a sheer joy to use.

You'll get amazing life from it as well. :)

Agree completely.

To the OP, the MBA is a fantastic machine; for all of its portability (and misleading lightness) it is a very solidly constructed piece of work.

For hat it is worth, I've had mine for more than two and a half years, and it has, quite literally, travelled the world with me. You'll love yours and, as maxosx has already said, you'll get great life from it.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole

This is very nearly an ideal setup in my mind. I like the Apple peripherals for web browsing but prefer the ergonomics and extra buttons of the MS Mouse 5K for productivity. The only 2 minor improvements on this lineup I might suggest is to 1) wait for the refresh on the TBD to score USB3 and reduced glare, and 2) Think about getting a BookArc to save desktop space.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Apple.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
My only, slight, 'disagreement' is with the Thunderbolt display. Yes, it is a nice display, but the price, for me, is way too high. There are other displays that are almost as good but at a third of the cost of a Thunderbolt display.

Not when you consider it includes a Thunderbolt dock, speakers and a laptop charging cable. When you consider the three things combined, the price ain't too bad.

Shobberz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2013
Must say guys thanks for replying and helping me out, learned a lot just from the replies you guys have given me. Looking at purchasing a thunderbolt 27'' as we speak, is the display classed as 'retina' with it having such a high res display?

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Must say guys thanks for replying and helping me out, learned a lot just from the replies you guys have given me. Looking at purchasing a thunderbolt 27'' as we speak, is the display classed as 'retina' with it having such a high res display?

It's a fairly high resolution, but because that's spread out across such a large monitor it doesn't qualify as 'retina' really.

Your 13" Macbook Air has a pixel density of about 128 pixels per inch.

The 27" Thunderbolt display has a pixel density of about 109 pixels per inch, so slightly less.

You'll probably be sitting a bit further away from it though so it should still look pretty nice. It's also an IPS display which will have nicer colors and viewing angles than your Air's built in display.

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
My only, slight, 'disagreement' is with the Thunderbolt display. Yes, it is a nice display, but the price, for me, is way too high. There are other displays that are almost as good but at a third of the cost of a Thunderbolt display.

But currently, there are no comparable displays out there that also has a high res built in web cam, charging cable for the air, docking station that has gige, firewire, thunderbolt and 3 USB as well as built in 2.1 speaker system. So you really can't compare any other 27" displays when that is all they are, albeit some have USB ports.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.