Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
See, I feel the key advantage of an Air is its portability. A device that will rarely ever see your computer desk at home.

Your emphasis should be on mobility and durability over performance when it comes to the Air.

The Haswell MBPs are going to come with serious fire power, and an Apple Exclusive Iris Pro 5200.

IMO if you're going to need performance capabilities, you need the pro.

Rumors are that Apple might phase traditional MBPs altogether and leave only Retina MBPs.

Even upgrading to 8gb alone is defeating the purpose of Apple's MBA. That's why Apple set the default to 4gb. They know what they are doing.

It is cost-effective, highly portable, and is plenty enough to serve any daily requirements.

Bumping up to i7/8 costs at least $250, and depending on where you live it could cost more.

So now, for businessmen like me who do not get the special privilege of enjoying student discounts, an i7/8/256 will cost around $1650.

That's already more than what a Retina 13" costs.

So now you're losing 2-3 hours of the advertised 12 hour supply of battery, and don't really have a good performance notebook either. This, while paying more than a Retina MBP which is a more modern design, has a way superior screen, and of course in September it will come with a better graphics than the Air, and a much more powerful CPU. Oh, and also comes with 8GB ram on default which means better resale value.

The only justifiable scenario for getting an i7/8 is if you REALLY cannot wait for the MBP refresh in September, and need as much performance available on a current Haswell Mac.

Just my .02

I myself got the $100 up to 8GB for my 13" Haswell. It was impulsive and automatic at that point. I regret it now.

johnjey

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
Northern CA
NO matter how much you all may whine about your EXTENDED 10+ hours of battery life,

if i keep a safari tab open and a notes file, it will run for 92 hours...lmao grow up guys....the battery drama depends on your usage..PERIOD !

IF ANYONE here can do all this --> mentioned below ---> and squeeze a 7 hour battery --> then we WILL TALK :

If you are me and have an i-5 11' 2013, there's no way in hell that you can have the Air last for more than 6.5 hours max because of all the apps i use:

1. Safari tabs (10-12) open
2. Chrome (Netflix : 1.5-2 hours)
3. Flash videos
4. Snitch, Evernote,postbox, adium, vmware (win 7 occasionally: 20 mins)
5. Brightness (4 dots), keyboard lights (OFF)
6. Word processing, excel processing, PDF documents (30-40 mins)
7. Total finder, launchbar, xtrafinder, image viewing etc

Last edited:

Zuxor

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2013
Unfortunately I can't really make my battery last that long. With a normal usage of Chrome, Safari (all with flash enabled), some youtube videos, skype and messages I get 6 hours max. People claiming 9h+ just aren't using their MBAs normally.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
Unfortunately I can't really make my battery last that long. With a normal usage of Chrome, Safari (all with flash enabled), some youtube videos, skype and messages I get 6 hours max. People claiming 9h+ just aren't using their MBAs normally.

What's 'normal' for you isn't normal for everyone else. I've been able to get a little over 8 hours on my 2013 11 i5 as I don't use chrome/flash is disabled in Safari/Youtube/Skype are all major power users. Don't expect 9 hours if you're stressing the CPU. Keep in mind Haswell is built on the same 22nm process as Ivy Bridge so the 'miracle' of the 9/12 hour MBA's is Haswell's much lower power idle states. If your CPU isn't spending much time in idle, you're effecively burning the same amount of juice as last years Ivy Bridge MBA. You want longer battery life while stressing the CPU? You're going to have to wait for Broadwell's 14nm lower power process.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.