Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidra

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
I'm surprised and disappointed at the fact that the simple task of burning DVD folders to a playable DVD is not available on the Mac without 1. screwing around with terminal or 2. buying Toast or some other expensive program. There are literally 20 free burning programs for PC's (the best being Free Studio which comes with about 30 other perfectly functioning programs for no cost). Am I missing something? One of the reasons I switched was to be able to do video/DVD burning, for which the cliche is that Macs are so much better than PC's. Please tell me I'm missing something here.

Nov 28, 2010
located
I do not know, where you got that cliché, but have you tried Burn yet? It is not as powerful as Toast or many other DVD authoring applications, but it should get a simple job done.

For more advanced needs, you could look at a used copy of DVD Studio Pro via eBay (Final Cut Studio 2 or 3) or Adobe Encore.

And if haven't noticed it yet, Apple seems to get rid of those ODDs in their products, the only ones left are the Mac Pro and the cMBP.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I'm surprised and disappointed at the fact that the simple task of burning DVD folders to a playable DVD is not available on the Mac without 1. screwing around with terminal or 2. buying Toast or some other expensive program. There are literally 20 free burning programs for PC's (the best being Free Studio which comes with about 30 other perfectly functioning programs for no cost). Am I missing something? One of the reasons I switched was to be able to do video/DVD burning, for which the cliche is that Macs are so much better than PC's. Please tell me I'm missing something here.

I agree this is an area where the Window's arena is ahead, likely because of the number of users. Can I suggest you bookmark the site MacUpdate as a spot to find yourself Mac software. You can search for whatever you want, like "burn", then sort by free vs. paid. Good site.

davidra

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
I do not know, where you got that cliché, but have you tried Burn yet? It is not as powerful as Toast or many other DVD authoring applications, but it should get a simple job done.

For more advanced needs, you could look at a used copy of DVD Studio Pro via eBay (Final Cut Studio 2 or 3) or Adobe Encore.

And if haven't noticed it yet, Apple seems to get rid of those ODDs in their products, the only ones left are the Mac Pro and the cMBP.

Thanks, Burn worked fine for what I needed. Yes,indeed, I did notice and it almost kept me from buying my first iMac, since I do a lot of DVD burning. I even bought Parallels, installed Windows 8 and FreeStudio just because I liked that software so well. However, I'm having a problem with it burning correctly from inside of Parallels (getting a 'burn failure' message). I'll figure it out at some point. Many many freestudio users have been begging them to make it for the Mac but it hasn't happened yet. Probably the most useful, problem free collection of software for video and audio use I've come across in ten years or more.

Koontzy

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2013
I used imgburn on pc and loved it, but recently have gotten a macbook pro. I asked a similar question here. I just found a few sites that recommend the "mac dvd creator" it is free. I have not used it yet so I dont know how well it works though.

Nov 28, 2010
located
I used imgburn on pc and loved it, but recently have gotten a macbook pro. I asked a similar question here. I just found a few sites that recommend the "mac dvd creator" it is free. I have not used it yet so I dont know how well it works though.

It is free to try, but you have to pay 49 USD at some time. And it is from such wonderful software developers like Wondershare, aimed at "ignorant" people, who buy almost everything because they do not find a better alternative.

Koontzy

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2013
It is free to try, but you have to pay 49 USD at some time. And it is from such wonderful software developers like Wondershare, aimed at "ignorant" people, who buy almost everything because they do not find a better alternative.

Thanks,I was about to DL it but didn't. Thanks for saving me the trouble.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

palmharbor

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2007
Free for $39.95

Not free anymore..free download but if you want to use it without a BIG watermark...you must pay

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.