Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I've used Talk21 for my email for years and years. It went to Yahoo, then BT and I've just had an email saying that its going to stop and I have 3 options. Buy BT broadband, pay £1.60/month or leave.

I have Virgin BB, don't want to pay a monthly fee, and although not too happy with it, I'll have to let it go and use my Gmail email.

So how can I backup my Talk21 email? It was my prime email (I learnt not to use a ISP email in case you leave...).

I have numerous emails and folders etc that I want to keep. I've always just used it as webmail and on my iPhone nits also on my iMac mail app.

Is there any easy way to backup/export/save all my email? I suppose I could forward all the email to my Gmail one, but this would take ages with the number I have. I also don't have that long to do it, finishes around start of Sep.

Any help on someone who has done similar, or anything I can do.

Cheers

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
How many messages are we talking about?

You can just go to gmail.com and enable IMAP then add the GMail account to Mail and make some folder in Mail/Gmail then drag them form the current folder to a GMail folder. You might want to do a hundred or so at a time so Mail does not choke.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
How many messages are we talking about?

You can just go to gmail.com and enable IMAP then add the GMail account to Mail and make some folder in Mail/Gmail then drag them form the current folder to a GMail folder. You might want to do a hundred or so at a time so Mail does not choke.

Wow cool, I think I understand what you mean. It's numerous emails, like 300+ and organised in folders.

So I open Mail app on my iMac
Enable imap on gmail.com
Add the gmail account into mail
Drag the emails in the mail app from Talk21 to Gmail, this will auto upload them to gmail, if for example I look in Safari on my iPhone at gmail.com I'll see the emails there?

Thanks

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Wow cool, I think I understand what you mean. It's numerous emails, like 300+ and organised in folders.

So I open Mail app on my iMac
Enable imap on gmail.com
Add the gmail account into mail
Drag the emails in the mail app from Talk21 to Gmail, this will auto upload them to gmail, if for example I look in Safari on my iPhone at gmail.com I'll see the emails there?

Thanks

You've got it. :)

You can do 300 like that no problem.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
You've got it. :)

You can do 300 like that no problem.

Wow thanks, it sounds (to) easy, thought I'd have a nightmare to do this. I've used Talk21 for years, about a year ago, I started using this email address as my primary, and not relying on my ISP for when I leave.....typical.

Is Gmail the best option for a free webmail based email now then? As I say, to me, it's pointless using an ISP one in case in future you leave that ISP, you lose the email address associated with it. I do have an Apple iCloud one...?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Wow thanks, it sounds (to) easy, thought I'd have a nightmare to do this. I've used Talk21 for years, about a year ago, I started using this email address as my primary, and not relying on my ISP for when I leave.....typical.

Is Gmail the best option for a free webmail based email now then? As I say, to me, it's pointless using an ISP one in case in future you leave that ISP, you lose the email address associated with it. I do have an Apple iCloud one...?

I have been using iCloud as my primary since it is integrated so nicely with OS X and iOS. I do have a GMail for shopping and that kind of thing and just gave it forwarded to the iCloud address.

Nothing wrong with GMail as your primary if you like it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.