Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 4, 2012, 05:07 PM   #1
wmukj
macrumors member

Damaged iPhone - should I sell?

Hello,

I have a damaged (cracked screen) iPhone 4 that I bought the replacement screen for, but broke a cable during the attempted replacement process. It still holds some value in parts (or completely working with a new cable) and as I am set to sell off some Apple equipment I would like to see what I can get for it.

Here is my dilemma. With the damaged cable, the phone will no longer turn on. This means I cannot wipe the phone clean. I went into iCloud and it is set to wipe clean upon Internet connect, but is that too risky if someone does decide to get it working again?

I confess to not having spent adequate time researching this issue more throughly due to time constraints, that is why I have turned to the numerous experts here. What should I do with this phone? I have the new screen, but should I just chuck the phone out?

I apologize if this question exists elsewhere, but again time constraints. Thank you all in advance.
wmukj is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 05:14 PM   #2
numberforty1
macrumors 6502

take it to an apple store, they can wipe it clean for you.

after that sell it for what you can get.
numberforty1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 05:16 PM   #3
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by numberforty1 View Post
take it to an apple store, they can wipe it clean for you.

after that sell it for what you can get.
The apple store will not wipe its data off or even attempt anything with it since the user opened it up to service it himself.
Only thing they will do is offer an out of warranty replacement for $150.
Applejuiced is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 05:19 PM   #4
bwhli
macrumors Demi-God

Right, Apple won't do anything to recover data. You should get a replacement and then sell that. Won't be a huge profit though.
bwhli is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 05:20 PM   #5
numberforty1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
The apple store will not wipe its data off or even attempt anything with it since the user opened it up to service it himself.
Only thing they will do is offer an out of warranty replacement for $150.
Good point!
numberforty1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 08:21 PM   #6
wmukj
macrumors member

Thank you all so far for the advice. It was out of warranty when it was damaged and my wife was eligible for upgrade so we just did that. I have had many an Apple product apart from iMacs to Time Capsules, so I read up and gave it a try.

I couldn't help tinkering with it, as I was surprised it still functioned as normal aside from the screen (it was run over by her car - don't ask) being broke (glass only). I found a new screen dirt cheap and figured at the very least I could sell it for a few bucks at the time.

Well in the disassembly process I broke a cable that apparently gets a few (wish I had read that prior to attempting it ). Anyway, I am off topic.

I have no desire to have Apple do anything to it, I would just like to know if maybe there is some way to wipe it clean without power, but that doesn't seem likely. I may have to put some effort into it.

----------

I should have stated that I have no interest in recovering the date, merely wiping it out.
wmukj is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 08:24 PM   #7
marc11
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmukj View Post
Thank you all so far for the advice. It was out of warranty when it was damaged and my wife was eligible for upgrade so we just did that. I have had many an Apple product apart from iMacs to Time Capsules, so I read up and gave it a try.

I couldn't help tinkering with it, as I was surprised it still functioned as normal aside from the screen (it was run over by her car - don't ask) being broke (glass only). I found a new screen dirt cheap and figured at the very least I could sell it for a few bucks at the time.

Well in the disassembly process I broke a cable that apparently gets a few (wish I had read that prior to attempting it ). Anyway, I am off topic.

I have no desire to have Apple do anything to it, I would just like to know if maybe there is some way to wipe it clean without power, but that doesn't seem likely. I may have to put some effort into it.

----------

I should have stated that I have no interest in recovering the date, merely wiping it out.
Shot in the dark but have you tried connecting it to iTunes via a USB cable? You never know, you might be able to access/restore it. Cost nothing but a few seconds to try.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 09:31 PM   #8
XboxMySocks
macrumors 68000

I'll buy it depending on asking price anyway
But seriously yeah you could totally sell it, especially if it was unlocked.
XboxMySocks is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:43 PM   #9
wmukj
macrumors member

Yea, numberforty1 I did try that, thanks though. I will spend some time looking into it a bit more.

XboxMySocks - what's a fair price in your opinion?
wmukj is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone