Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:59 AM   #1
villiard
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
New 21.5" iMac Fan Noise

Hey new iMac 2012 users, just out of curiosity...

After turning on the iMac, how silent should the computer be? 'Cause I can definitely hear a slightly subtle 'wooshing' sound of the fan in a quiet room. I did upgrade my iMac with the new FusionDrive hoping to eliminate a significant amount of fan noise. Did I receive a lemon???

Thanks guys.
villiard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:22 AM   #2
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603
 
Apple fanboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Mines as quite as a mouse. Why not have a look at this thread to see if any of the solutions help you out? http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1511429
If not take it back as it's in warrantee.
__________________
iMac 21.5 2013, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad 2/4/Air Nikon D7100/D300 70-200 2.8/24-70 2.8/14-24 2.8/60 Macro 2.8/10.5 Fish eye 2.8
Apple fanboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:26 AM   #3
mchoffa
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
mine is completely silent until I open up either photoshop or premiere, then I get a faint fluttering sound

...but when I either apply a filter or render in premiere, it sounds like a jet getting ready to take off!
mchoffa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:51 AM   #4
sjz88
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Don't worry. My 27" has a constant fan sound as well. It's not really loud or annoying or anything but you can hear it when the room is really quiet.
It think that's normal and just the way it is since other people have reported the same.
sjz88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:33 AM   #5
villiard
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple fanboy View Post
Mines as quite as a mouse. Why not have a look at this thread to see if any of the solutions help you out? http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1511429
If not take it back as it's in warrantee.
Will do, thanks.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchoffa View Post
it sounds like a jet getting ready to take off!
lol! you should get it replaced. i just ran photoshop on mine, i still get the constant ongoing "whoosh" sound. similar to a jet plane mid-flight on cruise control...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjz88 View Post
Don't worry. My 27" has a constant fan sound as well. It's not really loud or annoying or anything but you can hear it when the room is really quiet.
It think that's normal and just the way it is since other people have reported the same.
Do you happen to know what your fan speed is? I just downloaded iStat Menus at it says my main fan speed is currently at 1399rpm. The sound isn't annoying, it just seems that my system is being overworked for nothing.
villiard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:37 AM   #6
2bcool2
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
my 27 imac fan speed is idol at 1200 ...

hope thihs helps, i too have a dead quiet room and didnt know its normal for the fan to be on all the time
2bcool2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 03:05 PM   #7
villiard
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bcool2 View Post
my 27 imac fan speed is idol at 1200 ...

hope thihs helps, i too have a dead quiet room and didnt know its normal for the fan to be on all the time
thanks.
villiard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 03:20 PM   #8
azentropy
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Surprise
Quote:
Originally Posted by villiard View Post
Hey new iMac 2012 users, just out of curiosity...

After turning on the iMac, how silent should the computer be? 'Cause I can definitely hear a slightly subtle 'wooshing' sound of the fan in a quiet room. I did upgrade my iMac with the new FusionDrive hoping to eliminate a significant amount of fan noise. Did I receive a lemon???

Thanks guys.
The fusion drive does nothing to reduce noise, if anything the additional flash storage module adds to noise by generating more heat than a HDD alone requiring the system fan to run longer and possibly at a higher RPM.

Unfortunately Apple doesn't offer a flash only or SSD only option which would have eliminated the HDD noise and cut down the system fan even further since a SSD or flash module generates less heat than a HDD.
azentropy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 03:27 PM   #9
villiard
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by azentropy View Post
The fusion drive does nothing to reduce noise, if anything the additional flash storage module adds to noise by generating more heat than a HDD alone requiring the system fan to run longer and possibly at a higher RPM.

Unfortunately Apple doesn't offer a flash only or SSD only option which would have eliminated the HDD noise and cut down the system fan even further since a SSD or flash module generates less heat than a HDD.
So my fan speed at 1398rpm is considered normal? Thanks for your input.
Attached Images
 
villiard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 03:34 PM   #10
Gelite55
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
If it makes a noise. Exchange it.
Gelite55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 03:35 PM   #11
Reaktor5
macrumors 6502a
 
Reaktor5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New Hampshire, USA
My 2011 iMac does this too. I chalked it up to the bearings in the fan.

I'll probably replace it eventually but lugging an iMac to the Apple store is low on my fun scale.
Reaktor5 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 03:44 PM   #12
Gelite55
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaktor5 View Post
My 2011 iMac does this too. I chalked it up to the bearings in the fan.

I'll probably replace it eventually but lugging an iMac to the Apple store is low on my fun scale.
I hate it to. I'd much rather ship it back and forth. But for a repair, it sounds easier to bring it to a store.
Gelite55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 03:50 PM   #13
Reaktor5
macrumors 6502a
 
Reaktor5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelite55 View Post
I hate it to. I'd much rather ship it back and forth. But for a repair, it sounds easier to bring it to a store.
My music usually is louder than it. I was temped to find an RPM using smcFanControl that it doesn't purr at.
Reaktor5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:09 PM   #14
azentropy
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Surprise
Quote:
Originally Posted by villiard View Post
So my fan speed at 1398rpm is considered normal? Thanks for your input.
Yes, ~1400rpm is the minimum the fan will run at. I can barely hear mine at this speed. So if yours is loud I would say something isn't right.
azentropy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:33 PM   #15
villiard
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by azentropy View Post
Yes, ~1400rpm is the minimum the fan will run at. I can barely hear mine at this speed. So if yours is loud I would say something isn't right.
Okay cool. Yeah it isn't necessarily loud, it is only noticeable in a quiet room. It's not dead silent that's for sure. I may just be really picky...
villiard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:41 PM   #16
seble
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by azentropy View Post
Yes, ~1400rpm is the minimum the fan will run at. I can barely hear mine at this speed. So if yours is loud I would say something isn't right.
I thought it was 1200rpm
seble is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 05:23 PM   #17
azentropy
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Surprise
Quote:
Originally Posted by seble View Post
I thought it was 1200rpm
The 27" is 1200rpm.
azentropy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iMac SMC Firmware Update 1.1 - Fan Noise - Late 2013 27 iMac alksion iMac 139 Jan 17, 2014 09:51 AM
New iMac Fan Noise simps100 iMac 7 Jan 1, 2014 06:31 PM
Imac fan noise Tbdbuckeyeitl iMac 17 Feb 8, 2013 05:51 PM
iMac 21,5 2012 Fan Noise dasc93 iMac 34 Dec 19, 2012 09:16 PM
iMac 2012 -Fan noise? oström iMac 7 Dec 2, 2012 04:21 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC