Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old May 30, 2006, 01:02 PM   #1
Noted
macrumors member

Will Windows XP SP2 OEM disc work on Boot Camp?

I've got a Windows XP Sp2 OEM disc. Will that work when installing Windows on Boot Camp on my MacBook Pro?

Also its a UK disc, and my MacBook Pro was bought in Hong Kong. Is there a region lock or anything on the OEM disc?

Thanks

Last edited by Noted; May 30, 2006 at 01:08 PM.
Noted is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 01:08 PM   #2
Dyuta
macrumors member

It should. Mine did.
Dyuta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 01:13 PM   #3
Eniregnat
macrumors 68000

Likely, if is just a generic install. It's worth the try, though some OEM disks are set up to run only on specific machines, but usually these are "Reinstall Disks". Technically, OEM disks licensees are generally not transferable to different machines, though this is hard to enforce.

Up grading Windows on a Macto SP2, also search these forums for SP2.

Don't Copy That Floppy instructional video.
Eniregnat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 01:59 PM   #4
slooksterPSV
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to slooksterPSV Send a message via MSN to slooksterPSV Send a message via Yahoo to slooksterPSV
I bought Windows XP w/SP1 Professional from an online retailer, and they sent me an OEM copy of Windows XP, I thought OEM meant that it was a full install that came directly from Microsoft. There wasn't any enhanced/new/different software on it from a regular Windows XP Pro disc, actually there was nothing different about it at all. The Pro disc was shiny and reflective and was a real copy, but they called it OEM on the website and I think it said OEM on the disc.

EDIT: Wow on the front it says: "For distribution with new PC only." hmm.... never noticed that.
Old May 30, 2006, 02:37 PM   #5
Eniregnat
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by What you’ll need
Apple.com BootCamp Info
A bona fide installation disc for Microsoft Windows XP, Service Pack 2, Home or Professional (No multi-disc, upgrade or Media Center versions.)
Your doing it the right way.

Microsoft Windows Instillation OEMs are actually made by Microsoft, but are for Value Added Resellers. They are distributed by companies are a reduced cost to consumers so that they can afford a computer bundled with a Microsoft operating system. All I was doing was pointing out that OEM disks generally have restricted licensing. M$ advertises here, and the Software Piracy Police also advertise this site. I bet they hound the mods about threads also.

Last edited by Eniregnat; May 30, 2006 at 02:43 PM.
Eniregnat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 04:21 PM   #6
slooksterPSV
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to slooksterPSV Send a message via MSN to slooksterPSV Send a message via Yahoo to slooksterPSV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eniregnat
Your doing it the right way.

Microsoft Windows Instillation OEMs are actually made by Microsoft, but are for Value Added Resellers. They are distributed by companies are a reduced cost to consumers so that they can afford a computer bundled with a Microsoft operating system. All I was doing was pointing out that OEM disks generally have restricted licensing. M$ advertises here, and the Software Piracy Police also advertise this site. I bet they hound the mods about threads also.
So is my software legal to have?
--Meaning XP since I bought it off the internet as an OEM?
Old May 30, 2006, 04:44 PM   #7
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eniregnat
I bet they hound the mods about threads also.
It's none of my business, really, and it doesn't affect me practically, but out of curiosity, do these organizations actually make a practice of frequently contacting administration of forums in this regard (i.e. asking for moderation of threads in which piracy is being discussed)? Even with the trade secret issues, the legal counsel requests to delete discussions or information are relatively rare, as far as I know....

On MR, in my past experience, it's the forum members who do the policing and report piracy to the mods....

EDIT: Slookster, technically, the issue is that the seller on eBay doesn't have the legal right usually, with OEM software, to transfer it to you in the absence of the adjoining hardware -- that is, their license is to sell it to you as part of a computer. So the sale of eBay is questionably legal. But I don't understand technically how that impacts YOUR rights.
Old May 30, 2006, 07:37 PM   #8
slooksterPSV
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrishnan
It's none of my business, really, and it doesn't affect me practically, but out of curiosity, do these organizations actually make a practice of frequently contacting administration of forums in this regard (i.e. asking for moderation of threads in which piracy is being discussed)? Even with the trade secret issues, the legal counsel requests to delete discussions or information are relatively rare, as far as I know....

On MR, in my past experience, it's the forum members who do the policing and report piracy to the mods....

EDIT: Slookster, technically, the issue is that the seller on eBay doesn't have the legal right usually, with OEM software, to transfer it to you in the absence of the adjoining hardware -- that is, their license is to sell it to you as part of a computer. So the sale of eBay is questionably legal. But I don't understand technically how that impacts YOUR rights.
Whoa, whoa whoa, why does everyone assume eBay, sorry it wasn't it was http://www.buysell101.com/ but I think their DN changed. I bought this from a website - NOT from an eBay seller.
Old May 30, 2006, 07:47 PM   #9
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by slooksterPSV
Whoa, whoa whoa, why does everyone assume eBay, sorry it wasn't it was http://www.buysell101.com/ but I think their DN changed. I bought this from a website - NOT from an eBay seller.
Okay, I'm sorry about that. But it doesn't change my point.
Old May 30, 2006, 10:08 PM   #10
slooksterPSV
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrishnan
Okay, I'm sorry about that. But it doesn't change my point.
True, oh well, it works, it's been verified by Microsoft and is Genuine so I guess that's all that matters.

EDIT: I have a Mac so who cares =P
Old Nov 15, 2007, 05:54 AM   #11
deano97
macrumors newbie

ok, so I'm a little confused
A computer we bought the other year was a Fujitsu Siemens Computer. However, it seemed this was always going wrong, so we sent it back and got a mac.
However, with this computer we kept the 'Fujitsu Siemens Product Recovery CD-ROM Windows XP Home Edition-SP2.' Despite the fact that Fujitsu Siemens is stamped widely across the whole CD, will this OEM Siemens version work??
deano97 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 05:59 AM   #12
arkitect
macrumors 68040

^^^
It may work but I suspect it is "linked" to the Fujitsu Siemens hardware…

Pop it in and see? It won't break anything if it doesn't work.
arkitect is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 06:01 AM   #13
deano97
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitect View Post
^^^
It may work but I suspect it is "linked" to the Fujitsu Siemens hardware…

Pop it in and see? It won't break anything if it doesn't work.
So you think it's worth a try? Or will it destroy my macbook pro?
deano97 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 06:06 AM   #14
arkitect
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano97 View Post
So you think it's worth a try? Or will it destroy my macbook pro?
Destroy your MBP? No, I don't think Microsoft are quite that evil.

It will just refuse to install, that's all… Or it may work fine.

I know for a fact, because I have it running, that the OEM version of XP works fine… but I bought that from Amazon and it is not locked to any specific vendor…
arkitect is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:30 PM   #15
B.I
macrumors newbie

About to download windows XP SP2... Will that work on Boot Camp for my MacBook Pro?
B.I is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:31 PM   #16
Puevlo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.I View Post
About to download windows XP SP2... Will that work on Boot Camp for my MacBook Pro?
It's a supported version.
Puevlo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:10 PM   #17
Stooby Mcdoobie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.I View Post
If you're on Lion (10.7) or Mountain Lion (10.8), Boot Camp does not support XP. You can get around this by manually creating a bootable partition for the Windows install. Follow this guide. It says Vista, but the process will work for XP also.
Stooby Mcdoobie is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help