Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jennyferzoo

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2012
Please excuse my noobness. I am in the market for a tablet and will use it for streaming movies through Netflix or watching movies all day (average 10 hours daily). I know the iPad has a stronger GPU with a weaker CPU/ram but the Nexus has a weaker GPU with a stronger CPU/ram. As far as what I will be using the tablet for, which would hold up better? The thing I am most afraid of is dropped frames during action scenes or after a long time of playback.

Also, what is the tradeoff between having a weaker GPU stronger CPU, weaker CPU stronger GPU

The Face

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2012
Please excuse my noobness. I am in the market for a tablet and will use it for streaming movies through Netflix or watching movies all day (average 10 hours daily). I know the iPad has a stronger GPU with a weaker CPU/ram but the Nexus has a weaker GPU with a stronger CPU/ram. As far as what I will be using the tablet for, which would hold up better? The thing I am most afraid of is dropped frames during action scenes or after a long time of playback.

Also, what is the tradeoff between having a weaker GPU stronger CPU, weaker CPU stronger GPU
You'd be better suited with the iPad 4, but both devices are pretty much as powerful as each other.

Neither devices will drop frames during movies, you don't have to worry about that. There's not even a game currently released that will make the iPad 4 lag or drop frames, nevermind movies.

Now the "weaker GPU, stronger CPU" and vice versa argument isn't completely fact, both devices are Duel-core A15 based processor and both extremely powerful. The iPad 4 doesn't have a weaker CPU than the Nexus 10, whilst the A6x chip is clocked slightly less than the Exynos 5, the A6x is extremely well optimised and is lightening fast. It's raw performance is on par with the Exynos 5, some benchmarks even beat it.

The iPads 4 GPU is unbeatable at the moment though, I haven't seem any Nexus 10 GPU benchmarks yet, but at the moment the iPad 4's GPU will handle anything you throw at it with ease.

But basically, for your needs I recommend the ipad 4, it won't disappoint you and you need not worry about drops in performance, ever.

jennyferzoo

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2012
You'd be better suited with the iPad 4, but both devices are pretty much as powerful as each other.

Neither devices will drop frames during movies, you don't have to worry about that. There's not even a game currently released that will make the iPad 4 lag or drop frames, nevermind movies.

Now the "weaker GPU, stronger CPU" and vice versa argument isn't completely fact, both devices are Duel-core A15 based processor and both extremely powerful. The iPad 4 doesn't have a weaker CPU than the Nexus 10, whilst the A6x chip is clocked slightly less than the Exynos 5, the A6x is extremely well optimised and is lightening fast. It's raw performance is on par with the Exynos 5, some benchmarks even beat it.

The iPads 4 GPU is unbeatable at the moment though, I haven't seem any Nexus 10 GPU benchmarks yet, but at the moment the iPad 4's GPU will handle anything you throw at it with ease.

But basically, for your needs I recommend the ipad 4, it won't disappoint you and you need not worry about drops in performance, ever.

Thank you so much for the detailed reply. The extra GB of ram that the Nexus has makes no difference either correct? I think I will be getting the iPad retina though

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012

I would recommend the iPad 4 if you were going to take advantage of the app platform. But if you are just going to use it for streaming movies, then the iPad 4 might not be worth the extra cost.

The Face

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2012

Thank you so much for the detailed reply. The extra GB of ram that the Nexus has makes no difference either correct? I think I will be getting the iPad retina though
Absloutely not, the reason Android needs the extra RAM is because the OS is Java based, it focuses heavily on multi tasking and results in being very memory hungry and being less efficient.

iOS has been designed to work seemingly with the iPads hardware which results in incredible RAM management and performance, there will never be a moment when you'll experience a slow down due to too much RAM being used, it's all very controlled and extremely efficient.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010

The ipad 4 is not A15. Only the Nexus 10 has a A15 processor. A6X is A9 I think.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Absloutely not, the reason Android needs the extra RAM is because the OS is Java based, it focuses heavily on multi tasking and results in being very memory hungry and being less efficient.

Not really true. The GS3 in the UK doesnt have 2GB of RAM. The GS4 and its supposedly 8 cores is going to have 3GB of RAM. The N4 and its quad core has 2GB of RAM.

The Nexus tablets run very well. Either one will work well its just a matter if he wants to spend more money on a iPad.

Akash.B

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
Well, the iPad might have battery life in it's favor, while the Nexus 10 will have better speakers for listening to movies (if headphones are not used)

The Face

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2012
Not really true. The GS3 in the UK doesnt have 2GB of RAM. The GS4 and its supposedly 8 cores is going to have 3GB of RAM. The N4 and its quad core has 2GB of RAM.

The Nexus tablets run very well. Either one will work well its just a matter if he wants to spend more money on a iPad.
The UK 4G LTE Galaxy S3 has 2gb or RAM, I'm not sure what you mean by the rest though. Also the S4 having 3GB is just rumours and speculation, 3GB is completely unnecessary though, I've never even come close to using all of the 2GB available on my Note 2, and I've pushed it hard.

Also there's no denying the Nexus 10 runs really well, but what I'm pointing out is more RAM doesn't = better performance. The New iPad proves this by having flawlessly smooth performance with only 1GB RAM.

Don't get me wrong I'm a complete spec whore, I love Android much more than Apple/iOS, but I can appreciate brilliant optimisation and performance when I see it, and the iPad delivers this.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
The Face;16362700The UK 4G LTE Galaxy S3 has 2gb or RAM

It has 1GB of RAM unless they updated them.They came out with 1GB of RAM and a quad core chip.

I'm not sure what you mean by the rest though. Also the S4 having 3GB is just rumours and speculation, 3GB is completely unnecessary though, I've never even come close to using all of the 2GB available on my Note 2, and I've pushed it hard.
Maye it is but are you going to complai if they give it to you? Saying it isnt neccessary is just something iFans say because they dont get these things. Like 4" wasnt necessary for a screen. Now it is perfect and they cant see how they used their old phone without it.
Notifications wasnt necessary....... til they got it, now they dont know how they ever used their phone without it.

Also there's no denying the Nexus 10 runs really well, but what I'm pointing out is more RAM doesn't = better performance. The New iPad proves this by having flawlessly smooth performance with only 1GB RAM.

OK but it doesnt matter. The iPad doesnt do as much and doesnt multitask near as well so having more RAM is a good thing. Its a matter of what you want and how much money you want to spend.

Don't get me wrong I'm a complete spec whore, I love Android much more than Apple/iOS, but I can appreciate brilliant optimisation and performance when I see it, and the iPad delivers this.

And its all good. I got my Wife a Nexus 7 for Xmas so i havent used it yet and have never used a N7. My Daughter also has a iPad mini coming that her BF got her but wont be here till the 29th. Not sure which month so i can do a good comparison on both after Xmas having not ever used either one.

Last edited:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
CPU in the N10 is a beast that's why it dominates the iPad 4 by such a massive margin. Opposite applies for graphics. I'm basing this off geekbench and glbenchmark scores....

The Face

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2012
It has 1GB of RAM unless they updated them.They came out with 1GB of RAM and a quad core chip.

Maye it is but are you going to complai if they give it to you? Saying it isnt neccessary is just something iFans say because they dont get these things. Like 4" wasnt necessary for a screen. Now it is perfect and they cant see how they used their old phone without it.
Notifications was necessary....... til they got it, now they dont know how they ever used their phone without it.

OK but it doesnt matter. The iPad doesnt do as much and doesnt multitask near as well so having more RAM is a good thing. Its a matter of what you want and how much money you want to spend.

And its all good. I got my Wife a Nexus 7 for Xmas so i havent used it yet and have never used a N7. My Daughter also has a iPad mini coming that her BF got her but wont be here till the 29th. Not sure which month so i can do a good comparison on both after Xmas having not ever used either one.
You're right, it does have 1GB RAM. I could have sworn the updated 4G LTE version got the 2GB upgrade, guess I was wrong!

And no I wouldn't complain if they put 3GB ram in the S4, but I just feel they might starting to ram in more RAM, more cores etc just because they can without any real use for them.

Not going to argue with you about the Multi-tasking argument, the iPad doesn't multi-task hence it performance, whilst Android does. But the Android OS itself does need a little more optimization in RAM managment.

And if I'm honest, I wanted to buy the Nexus 10 and most certainly would have over the iPad 4 if it wasn't so hard to get a hold of a Nexus 10. Not once have I seen in in stock on the Playstore, I didn't even know it got released. I picked up the iPad 4 in the sale, but I'll be sure to have a blast at a Nexus 10 when it comes available.

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
CPU in the N10 is a beast that's why it dominates the iPad 4 by such a massive margin. Opposite applies for graphics. I'm basing this off geekbench and glbenchmark scores....
I don't think GeekBench scores are comparable between Android and iOS for some reason. All the actual benchmark results put them on pretty even footing.

The Face

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2012
I don't think GeekBench scores are comparable between Android and iOS for some reason. All the actual benchmark results put them on pretty even footing.
They aren't that even to be honest, the Nexus 10 wins hands down in CPU tests, but the iPad 4's GPU out-performs the Nexus 10's by a major stretch.

ERGRE

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
Depends on what you use it. But I love my Nexus 7. It has a light weight, ultra portable, price is right, have a long battery life

jennyferzoo

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2012
I also forgot to mention, I will be porting out to a monitor or HDTV as well. Not sure if that makes a difference. (willing to jailbreak if I go with iPad)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I also forgot to mention, I will be porting out to a monitor or HDTV as well. Not sure if that makes a difference. (willing to jailbreak if I go with iPad)

To mirror?

N10 has HDMI out, the iPad you can get an adapter. With the iPad you can currently use airplay to wirelessly mirror to an Apple TV. We are waiting for the update for miracast for the N10. Personally since miracast is becoming standard you'll see a lot of neat stuff from 3rd party manufactures including it built in to HDTV's from the start.

I think Google pushed the device out in a hurry. It works great but I'm waiting for 3rd party accessories or even Google/Samsung branded stuff....there is a bit but nothing like the iPad of course which can also share a lot of stuff from previous generations. It charges a bit slow but Google has a magnetic "pogo" charger coming out soon which will supposedly charge the device very quickly.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012

Well you can either get a Movie watching device for 399 or 499. Also the Nexus 10 will output to HDMI with a 2 dollar TYPE A to TYPE D micro HDMI cable while the iPad will require a regular HDMI cable and a 40+ dollar adapter. Additionally while the iPad can output a video to 16:9, it can only mirror in 4:3. Not sure if that is important or not. If you already have an Apple TV there are also Airplay apps in the Play store.

If I were you and just looking for a movie streaming device I would go with the cheaper Nexus 10.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
To mirror?

N10 has HDMI out, the iPad you can get an adapter. With the iPad you can currently use airplay to wirelessly mirror to an Apple TV. We are waiting for the update for miracast for the N10. Personally since miracast is becoming standard you'll see a lot of neat stuff from 3rd party manufactures including it built in to HDTV's from the start.

I think Google pushed the device out in a hurry. It works great but I'm waiting for 3rd party accessories or even Google/Samsung branded stuff....there is a bit but nothing like the iPad of course which can also share a lot of stuff from previous generations. It charges a bit slow but Google has a magnetic "pogo" charger coming out soon which will supposedly charge the device very quickly.

Is this pogo charger official? Because I've seen many people saying it will come out eventually buy I haven't seen an official announcement from Google or Samsung. People assume it will come out, but I don't even remember the galaxy nexus having a pogo accessory. There was a dock shown on the announcement but I never saw it come out.

I would need this pogo charger too, but I just see people saying it will come out and not an official release date from Google, or maybe it could be released by a 3rd party vendor?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Is this pogo charger official? Because I've seen many people saying it will come out eventually buy I haven't seen an official announcement from Google or Samsung. People assume it will come out, but I don't even remember the galaxy nexus having a pogo accessory. There was a dock shown on the announcement but I never saw it come out.

I would need this pogo charger too, but I just see people saying it will come out and not an official release date from Google, or maybe it could be released by a 3rd party vendor?

Official or 3rd party someone will make it. Here is a pic of a magnetic stuck to one of the 2 metal things designed to receive it.

nugyrypy.jpg

I've seen a picture of the official one but I don't know if it was a fake or not. Looked nice though...

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
You're right, it does have 1GB RAM. I could have sworn the updated 4G LTE version got the 2GB upgrade, guess I was wrong!

And no I wouldn't complain if they put 3GB ram in the S4, but I just feel they might starting to ram in more RAM, more cores etc just because they can without any real use for them.

Not going to argue with you about the Multi-tasking argument, the iPad doesn't multi-task hence it performance, whilst Android does. But the Android OS itself does need a little more optimization in RAM managment.

And if I'm honest, I wanted to buy the Nexus 10 and most certainly would have over the iPad 4 if it wasn't so hard to get a hold of a Nexus 10. Not once have I seen in in stock on the Playstore, I didn't even know it got released. I picked up the iPad 4 in the sale, but I'll be sure to have a blast at a Nexus 10 when it comes available.

I didnt know an iPad 4 was on the market. Is it a full size tablet? I havent seen a commercial for it either and only hear about an iPad 4 in here. What is different about that than the iPad 3?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I didnt know an iPad 4 was on the market. Is it a full size tablet? I havent seen a commercial for it either and only hear about an iPad 4 in here. What is different about that than the iPad 3?

Faster processor and graphics and a lightning connector. It was released too close to the iPad 3 for Apple to advertise. Technically the iPad 3 has the speed of the iPad 2 with a better screen. All these updates are getting so minor its no wonder you don't know what has what.....

Sincci

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2011
Finland

Currently there are two different international Galaxy S3 phones, the i9300 model doesn't have LTE and only comes with 1GB of RAM. The i9305 model on the other hand does come with LTE and 2GB of RAM. Both of these models come with Samsung's own Exynos 4 Quad SoC, so they are different from the US LTE models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.