Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming

Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:07 AM   #1
uaecasher
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to uaecasher Send a message via MSN to uaecasher Send a message via Yahoo to uaecasher
Picture copyright

Hello,

I'm thinking of doing an educational application and I'll need some images of buildings. I'm wondering is there a way to know that an image is copyrighted? are all images automatically copyrighted? and what's the best way to go around this.

Thank you
uaecasher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:07 AM   #2
jnoxx
macrumors 65816

Best way is to contact the person where you're getting the image from, if it's public property, like buildings etc, you should need to contact the owner or state for copyright laws, that's why in our app Kiddo Atlas, we have issues with adding monuments, because of the effing laws..

iPad Mini, iPad 4, iPad 2, iPhone 3G,4,5, iMac 24", Mac Mini Last gen, Macbook Pro Retina with Dell U2711
jnoxx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:58 AM   #3
robbieduncan

As above some buildings themselves are copyright and you cannot reproduce images of them without permissions. But to answer the question fully: yes all photographs are automatically copyrighted by the person who took them. Unless explicitly stated otherwise you need to obtain permission (probably pay) to use them
robbieduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:28 PM   #4
uaecasher
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to uaecasher Send a message via MSN to uaecasher Send a message via Yahoo to uaecasher
Thanks for the feedback.

What about the pictures in Wikipedia (like this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gu...lbao-jan05.jpg) it says that I'm free "to share to copy, distribute and transmit the work" under: "You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work)."

does this mean I have to put a small footer text below image ?

Thank you.
uaecasher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:06 PM   #5
MattInOz
macrumors 68030

Not sure were you are in the world but try looking up your local Architects Professional Association. Website or phone they should have a Media & Education officer who should be more than happy to give you the Architects official line on how to properly deal with the copyright of the Architects works in the images you want to use. They might even have information they can feed you ready for use without issue.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming