Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frjonah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
Almost Heaven... WV
Just wanted to give a positive report about a super simple Powerline Network setup to get the web out to my printshop... Wifi broadcast from the house couldn't penetrate the steel building so I picked up a "TRENDnet TPL-406E2K Powerline 500 AV Nano Adapter Kit" on a Newegg "Shell Shocker" deal... I was afraid it wouldn't work since I've read reports of Powerline Networking not working on Macs to start with and the printshop is fed power through a subpanel... well, it was 100% plug-and-play and speeds are much better than what I see on my mbp on Wifi.

Here's the link to what I picked up:
TRENDnet TPL-406E2K Powerline 500 AV Nano Adapter Kit

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Kind of amusing how they specify a 10/100Mbps port, then quote speeds of "Up to 500Mbps". How does the extra 400Mbps of bandwidth get out.. magic?

VoR

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2008
UK
I've got a cheap no-brand set that are the opposite :)
They're labelled as 1gig power line adapters (the ports are gig) but only operate at 500meg.

They get worryingly hot, but work very reliably at around 200mb with my usage scenario - Infinitely better than the 'expensive' branded netgear ones they replaced.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.