Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaydencro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2013
Which upgrade would be more beneficial? I'm already planning on getting the graphics card upgrade and i was thinking of getting the fusion drive but i don't know whether or not the i7 upgrade would be better for me.

I am planning on using the computer for video and photo editing along with some subtle gaming. :eek:

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Get the i7, graphics upgrade and Fusion drive. Then buy the RAM upgrade from crucial.

Do all of that and you will have a beast of a mac that will last you a long time.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Unless your doing a lot of virtualisation, you can probably drop the i7 CPU upgrade and stick with the i5,

I am planning on the iMac shortly, and going for the 2gb video, and 3GB fusion BTO upgrades, ill add my own Ram after market because i can add 32GB for about 10% the cost apple are pricing it at.

i may even just go for a stock 1TB build, no fusion and not use the internal drive at all, plumbing for an external 256GB thunderbolt SSD and external Thunderbolt 4TB drive and setting them up as Fusion, at least that way i know i can replace the costly parts without going back to apple if the SSD or HDD Fails after a year.

Dylatron2000

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2011
Durham, NC
I'm in a similar dilemma, I'm looking at getting the 27" iMac as well and am debating on the options. That i7 looks pretty sweet but so does an upgraded video card, however I feel like the fusion drive isn't that big of a deal to me.

Ah indecision :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.