Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
Love the ad, but sorry no windows phone and no Nokia (at least not now). I don't have enough money and time to want to buy a half-assed phone/system plus a two years contract.

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
Is it even legal to directly refer to companies other than yours in an advert? I've never seen ads that do this, at least not on TV!

I don't know where you're from, possibly outside of the USA? I noticed when travelling in the US, that referring directly to competitors in ads is quite common. I'm from the UK and it is something that doesn't happen there, or in Brazil where I currently live. Don't know if it's because of legal reasons or just audience reaction?

MuffCabbage

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
Over a million views in a day. Good job Microsoft, you're solving the big issue which is people not knowing about Windows Phone.

FirstNTenderbit

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Atlanta
What's the deal with ads that don't actually point out the technical merits of the device? Are people really dumb enough to buy into them.

These are even a step down from Samsung ads which point out useless features or make nonsensical insults of competitiors.

You mean like the latest iPhone ad that shows a bunch of people taking pictures of random stuff? Didn't see many technical merits in that one. Or the one where they flash random pictures and yell (that was horrible).

Unless you count "more photos are taken with an iPhone than any other camera" as a technical merit.

The commercial was funny as hell and fairly accurate portrayal of Apple/Samsung fan boys and girls.

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska
What's the deal with ads that don't actually point out the technical merits of the device? Are people really dumb enough to buy into them.

When was the last time a Geico commercial had anything to do with insurance? Yet you remember them. Marketing has succeeded if you remember the name (if not the product). It's to get the idea in people's heads that there is a third option to choose from when buying a phone, and this option might appeal to you if you're not interested in participating in the Great Mobile Pissing Match.

At this point in the game, Microsoft/Nokia is more concerned with planting the seed than selling a specific product.

Renzatic

Suspended
Apple's most famous Mac ad had nothing technical in it

Branding is the most important thing

This. Advertising is more about sticking an idea in your head and getting you to think about the product more than it is telling you everything about it.

Anyone can find out the tech specs and features of the Surface after a minute and a half on Google. It's getting you to want to look them up in the first place that's key.

edit: what Prototypical said.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I don't know where you're from, possibly outside of the USA? I noticed when travelling in the US, that referring directly to competitors in ads is quite common. I'm from the UK and it is something that doesn't happen there, or in Brazil where I currently live. Don't know if it's because of legal reasons or just audience reaction?

I'm from the UK actually, and yeah I'm curious if it's a legal thing or just a habit. I'm used to hearing "other brands" or "our competition" instead of "Pepsi" or "Apple" or whatever. Like those ubiquitous washing powder commercials that always compared the advertised product to "standards washing powders" which didn't mean anything, but they were obviously avoiding naming any brands for some reason. Also on TV if a presenter accidentally mentions the name of another TV station, it gets bleeped out (not always but usually). I never really knew why, maybe they want to avoid advertising their competition, or there's a legal reason which isn't present in the US…

Windlasher

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2011
minneapolis
As one of those "ISHEEP"

That commercial is complete and utter B.S.

And By B.S. I mean Brilliant ****. :)

See, you wanted to fight me, didn't you ? ;)

----------

I'm from the UK actually, and yeah I'm curious if it's a legal thing or just a habit. I'm used to hearing "other brands" or "our competition" instead of "Pepsi" or "Apple" or whatever. Like those ubiquitous washing powder commercials that always compared the advertised product to "standards washing powders" which didn't mean anything, but they were obviously avoiding naming any brands for some reason. Also on TV if a presenter accidentally mentions the name of another TV station, it gets bleeped out (not always but usually). I never really knew why, maybe they want to avoid advertising their competition, or there's a legal reason which isn't present in the US…

It used to be that you couldn't mention the competitor here in the US. Now pretty much anything goes. They have to make sure the statements cannot be construed as slanderous of false or they will be sued. Opinions or implied preferences are ok though. Its also why you see the paid actor comment at the bottom of the screen some of the time. Thats the advertisers way of saying, "we paid this person to say that".

Last edited by a moderator:

Windlasher

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2011
minneapolis
I find it Amazing that...

... No matter what side you are on, that the trolls here cant just say "great commercial", or "not that funny".

They still use it as an opportunity to slam someone, company brand.

It's a cool commercial. Doesn't make me want a MS phone, but I enjoyed it.

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
Something funny from MS, finally, the apple tattoo is really great too.

Than again, Apple icon is one of the most seen icon in every day life. It is plastered all over, be it in coffee shops, bars.

I think there is no such thing as bad publicity, people will recognize one brand from rest of them.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I saw this on TV the other night. First ad I saw in a while that was actually funny!

WP8 does have it's annoyances though, I can't deny that. I love that if you send a native app to the background using the home button, and then relaunch using a tile rather than from the multitasking menu, it opens two versons of the same app. Then eventually you have 10 sms apps open and the phone starts screaming at you. Really crap oversight there, and the funny thing is it doesn't happen with third party apps! I can use the home button to send twitter to the background and when I relaunch from anywhere the app is right where I left off.

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
It's entertaining and well made. I am just not sure about the Apple logo at the end. It really is like free commercial press for Apple. It's their iconic symbol and it gets the last big shot.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
It's entertaining and well made. I am just not sure about the Apple logo at the end. It really is like free commercial press for Apple. It's their iconic symbol and it gets the last big shot.

Yup and he gets knocked out, so they are hoping it cancels out? I dunno but that was awesome commercial regardless, actually super bowl worthy.

I wanted to like the nokia W8 phone very much. After my contract ended I went to AT&T with the idea of getting it just to change things up a bit and try something new since I've always had iphones. After spending 30 mins in store messing with it I said, 'no way, Theres no way I could be stuck with this for the next two years'. I left with the iphone 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.