Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old May 1, 2013, 07:34 PM   #1
Shobberz
macrumors newbie

First thread guys - New MBA 13 First Apple Device

Hello guys nice to be here!

First of all I'm new to the apple scene and have always been a bit of an Apple hater for no reason really but its great to finally have bought myself an Apple system and experience really how brilliant they are.

Ive got the MBA 13' i5 1.8ghz (2.8 turbo) 4gb, 128gb SSD, Intel 4000.

Like above its my first time ever to even use a Mac device so everything is completely new so its great to almost learn new things again as I consider myself as a really great Windows user, software knowledge and hardware.

So first thing I have done is installed on my new Mac, Office 13, CS6 extended, and also running Parallels 7 with Windows 7 32bit just so I have the option there for platform particular applications and programs. Having the 2 OS running in coherence is amazing and am stunned by it, it runs flawlessly.

Anyway I have now just seen the ability of the thunderbolt port and I have decided I want to use my MBA as a desktop for on the move, so could anyone help me in regards to what components I'm going to need to convert my desk into a apple set up using my MBA as simply a turn on/off unit, and been able to take it out with me in a heartbeat as I have no clue.

Would I be best off with a thunderbolt adapter and connect external devices eg. display, wireless trackpad and my external 2tb USB 3.0 to it?

Any help? as of now I literally have nothing but my MBA and a computer desk, great to be here and look forward to visiting these forums regularly!

Stefan
Shobberz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 07:40 PM   #2
Stetrain
macrumors 68040

I guess that depends on how much you want to spend and whether you already have a display.

Apple's Thunderbolt Display is actually a display and a docking station all in one. It has Ethernet, Firewire, and USB ports on the back that you could use to plug in your other peripherals. I don't think that it has USB 3.0 ports yet, it will probably be updated in the near future:

http://www.apple.com/displays/

There's also the Belkin Thunderbolt Dock which just started shipping:

http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F4U055
Stetrain is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 07:45 PM   #3
Drew017
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Skype™ to Drew017
If you want to go all Apple on this I'd recommend…

Apple Thunderbolt Display

Apple Wireless Keyboard

Apple Magic Trackpad (or Magic Mouse)
Drew017 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 11:29 PM   #4
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew017 View Post

Apple Wireless Keyboard

This is excellent advice.

One of many advantages is the trouble free, fast & easy setup. A system like this while a bit pricey is a sheer joy to use.

You'll get amazing life from it as well.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 05:30 AM   #5
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxosx View Post
This is excellent advice.

One of many advantages is the trouble free, fast & easy setup. A system like this while a bit pricey is a sheer joy to use.

You'll get amazing life from it as well.
Agree completely.

To the OP, the MBA is a fantastic machine; for all of its portability (and misleading lightness) it is a very solidly constructed piece of work.

For hat it is worth, I've had mine for more than two and a half years, and it has, quite literally, travelled the world with me. You'll love yours and, as maxosx has already said, you'll get great life from it.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 07:21 AM   #6
TC25
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew017 View Post

Apple Wireless Keyboard

My only, slight, 'disagreement' is with the Thunderbolt display. Yes, it is a nice display, but the price, for me, is way too high. There are other displays that are almost as good but at a third of the cost of a Thunderbolt display.
TC25 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 08:46 AM   #7
designs216
macrumors 65816

This is very nearly an ideal setup in my mind. I like the Apple peripherals for web browsing but prefer the ergonomics and extra buttons of the MS Mouse 5K for productivity. The only 2 minor improvements on this lineup I might suggest is to 1) wait for the refresh on the TBD to score USB3 and reduced glare, and 2) Think about getting a BookArc to save desktop space.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Apple.
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 08:58 AM   #8
wolfpuppies3
macrumors 6502

+1 to Drew017 above except that I have and use both the magic mouse and the bluetooth track pad as well as the 27"monitor and bluetooth keyboard.
Old May 2, 2013, 10:41 AM   #9
ZBoater
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25 View Post
My only, slight, 'disagreement' is with the Thunderbolt display. Yes, it is a nice display, but the price, for me, is way too high. There are other displays that are almost as good but at a third of the cost of a Thunderbolt display.
Not when you consider it includes a Thunderbolt dock, speakers and a laptop charging cable. When you consider the three things combined, the price ain't too bad.
Old May 2, 2013, 02:50 PM   #10
Drew017
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Skype™ to Drew017
OP if you want to look at some alternatives in display you can check this thread for some help
Drew017 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2013, 08:23 PM   #11
Shobberz
macrumors newbie

Must say guys thanks for replying and helping me out, learned a lot just from the replies you guys have given me. Looking at purchasing a thunderbolt 27'' as we speak, is the display classed as 'retina' with it having such a high res display?
Shobberz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2013, 01:18 AM   #12
Stetrain
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shobberz View Post
Must say guys thanks for replying and helping me out, learned a lot just from the replies you guys have given me. Looking at purchasing a thunderbolt 27'' as we speak, is the display classed as 'retina' with it having such a high res display?
It's a fairly high resolution, but because that's spread out across such a large monitor it doesn't qualify as 'retina' really.

Your 13" Macbook Air has a pixel density of about 128 pixels per inch.

The 27" Thunderbolt display has a pixel density of about 109 pixels per inch, so slightly less.

You'll probably be sitting a bit further away from it though so it should still look pretty nice. It's also an IPS display which will have nicer colors and viewing angles than your Air's built in display.
Stetrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 09:43 AM   #13
Outrigger
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25 View Post
But currently, there are no comparable displays out there that also has a high res built in web cam, charging cable for the air, docking station that has gige, firewire, thunderbolt and 3 USB as well as built in 2.1 speaker system. So you really can't compare any other 27" displays when that is all they are, albeit some have USB ports.
Outrigger is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air