Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Baunkjaer

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2009
Copenhagen, Denmark
MP as in signature.
Nothing fancy. My MP doesn´t make money - it´s the other way :mad:
Casual PhotoShop when I feel for it. Otherwise as a regular desktop - just without Windows.
I felt in love with the MP, first time I saw one, and last year I decided to "go all in".
It had never let me down, so I´ve no regrets.

Dc2006ster

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
Alberta, Canada
Did you put your SSD into the optibay or where? I have the same system minus the drives and ram.

Yes. I bought the SSD from OWC with a kit to firmly install the drive in the optical bay. The kit includes a cable to connect the drive to the extra SATA on the mother board.

When i use my wife,s Mac or my Macbook I really notice how good this SSD boot drive is.

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
Yes. I bought the SSD from OWC with a kit to firmly install the drive in the optical bay. The kit includes a cable to connect the drive to the extra SATA on the mother board.

When i use my wife,s Mac or my Macbook I really notice how good this SSD boot drive is.

Very cool. I just bought a 256G SSD and I put that in my Macbook. The 128G SSD that was in it will go into the MacPro. I just need to buy the adapters. I think I'll get the adapter for two SSDs. :) 128X2 in Raid0. Over kill? Maybe. Fun though.

Dc2006ster

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
Alberta, Canada
Very cool. I just bought a 256G SSD and I put that in my Macbook. The 128G SSD that was in it will go into the MacPro. I just need to buy the adapters. I think I'll get the adapter for two SSDs. :) 128X2 in Raid0. Over kill? Maybe. Fun though.

I like the idea of having the SSD securely fixed in the bay but I suspect you could just have it sitting in the bay or use a but of duct tape to strap it down:). You will need the SATA cable though.

I now have a second SSD drive, the kit will hold two, but can't decide what to use it for. Perhaps as a backup of the boot drive or as a Snow Leopard boot drive for those apps that will not run in Lion e.g. my scanner and some older games. I do find your idea of the 128 x 2 Raid , intriguing.

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
I like the idea of having the SSD securely fixed in the bay but I suspect you could just have it sitting in the bay or use a but of duct tape to strap it down:). You will need the SATA cable though.

I now have a second SSD drive, the kit will hold two, but can't decide what to use it for. Perhaps as a backup of the boot drive or as a Snow Leopard boot drive for those apps that will not run in Lion e.g. my scanner and some older games.

I could but, my "play" money it tight (read as very little) and I don't want to break anything to have to spend more. :) I have no problem waiting to order it and for it to come in.

Good idea. I might consider the second 128 and use CCC to clone my boot drive nightly. Hmm, I might just do that.

Dc2006ster

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
Alberta, Canada
I could but, my "play" money it tight (read as very little) and I don't want to break anything to have to spend more. :) I have no problem waiting to order it and for it to come in.

Good idea. I might consider the second 128 and use CCC to clone my boot drive nightly. Hmm, I might just do that.

Presently I backup my boot drive to a partition on one of my hard drives. With a smart backup this takes about 6 mins. If there is a new app or Os version I want to try I backup, install the app and if there are problems can revert to the former boot drive state.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.