Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Aug 18, 2013, 08:47 AM   #1
lightning33
macrumors member

New vs refurbished Nano

I know refurb Macbooks are generally considered basically as good as new and there will be no issues with them. Same hold true for the iPods, specifically the Nano? I figure I use it for working out so it may get sweaty, wet, dirty, etc and a refurb, if just as good as new, might do, especially at $50 less.
lightning33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2013, 09:15 AM   #2
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning33 View Post
I know refurb Macbooks are generally considered basically as good as new and there will be no issues with them. Same hold true for the iPods, specifically the Nano? I figure I use it for working out so it may get sweaty, wet, dirty, etc and a refurb, if just as good as new, might do, especially at $50 less.
The same holds true for iPods as well. Except for the refurb box my iPod touch was in you would never have known it was a refurb looking at it.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 03:51 AM   #3
pumazooma
macrumors member

As above.
I've bought two nano refurbs in the past and apart from the simple box, you wouldn't know it was any different to a brand new one.
pumazooma is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2013, 11:44 AM   #4
SmurfBoxMasta
macrumors 65816

Location: If you come into the forest really late at night, I might tell you...or nOt :)

Been there, done that, TWICE.....most recently with an iPod touch for my daughter's birthday in June.....she didnt even realize that it was a refurb.....I had it shipped to the local apple store so she would think I bought it NEW from there. Had Mom act as a decoy while I went to have a salesperson get it from the stockroom.....
Old Aug 20, 2013, 03:59 PM   #5
12vElectronics
macrumors 68000

I'm under the impression ALL Apple refurbs are of the same quality. That being said, I never buy refurb.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 01:45 AM   #6
mtneer
macrumors 6502a

You still have the same warranty on a refurb. If anything happens, you can still go in for a replacement, like buying new.
mtneer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 10:58 AM   #7
cmichaelb
macrumors 6502a

I have purchased and received refurbs for warranty work before and they have been fantastic. No problems what so ever.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 04:33 PM   #8
hamiltonDSi
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by buybackworld View Post
Apple and its suppliers have very strict QC.
Yeah, thats why the first iPhone 5 units came scuffed out of the box (Including mine).
hamiltonDSi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 06:15 PM   #9
knovins
macrumors newbie

No reservations

Over the years, I've bought a refurb touch, two shuffles, an iPod Classic, and *multiple* nanos. All look new, and come with the same (new) accessories. I have no reservations giving refurbs as gifts. In fact, I only buy refurbished iPods because you can't BTO, so there's no special advantage to buying new, and I don't mind waiting awhile to get a model.

None of the refurbed iPods that I've kept have failed, and I've never gotten a bad report on any that were given. As someone else has mentioned, Apple provides the same warranty and you can add AppleCare for refurbs.

On the other hand, I returned both BTO iMacs for replacements.
knovins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 08:50 PM   #10
acorntoy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonDSi View Post
Yeah, thats why the first iPhone 5 units came scuffed out of the box (Including mine).
And i've had 4 iphone 5's with dust very obviously showing up in pictures because it's stuck in the camera lens

Apple has really got this quality control thing down.

and no this isn't "lulz he must have OCD cause he replaced it that much" this is Apple store geniuses saying to my face that if their phone took pictures like my last couple did that they would be pissed off.

TO OP: Generally refurbished Apple products are really high quality, I doubt if you get one instead of a brand new one you will end up disappointed, especially because they carry the exact same warranty as a new product.
acorntoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod