Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jer9542

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2010
As an advertising executive, I can tell you that the fact that Samsung has resorted to this type of advertising means they are getting desperate. Like a poster above me already mentioned, any company would kill for a following like Apple has. In advertising, an "attack" such as this is typically reserved as a "last ditch" effort to try and thwart the competitier (by insulting the competitions customers. Trust me, I've worked in Advertising for a long time, and at a very prestigious agency. Don't worry my fellow "sheep", people continue to buy products for one reason...quality.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
As an advertising executive, I can tell you that the fact that Samsung has resorted to this type of advertising means they are getting desperate. Like a poster above me already mentioned, any company would kill for a following like Apple has. In advertising, an "attack" such as this is typically reserved as a "last ditch" effort to try and thwart the competitier (by insulting the competitions customers. Trust me, I've worked in Advertising for a long time, and at a very prestigious agency. Don't worry my fellow "sheep", people continue to buy products for one reason...quality.

I don't think that's TRUE because Apple had a advertising campaign that attacked Microsoft and I don't think Apple were desperate.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
OK so Samsung has a new teaser ad out for their new Galaxy phone and of course they take a swipe Apple fans (in the form of sheep). This got me wondering, why is it just Apple fans to be considered 'sheeple' or part of a cult? If you buy a Samsung smartphone you're not a Samsung or Android sheeple, but if you buy an iPhone you are? I dont get it. What is the point of Samsung's obsession with Apple? Do they think they're going to win over iPhone customers by insulting them?
Why are Apple fans considered "sheeple"? Because generally speaking, that is what they are.

Exhibit "A" would be iPhone owners who are ready to upgrade to the latest model even before the details are announced.

I've been on the internet even before it was the internet. As someone in the IT field for over 30 years and interacted with plenty of different user groups, I can say that Apple customers exhibit more blind loyalty than fans of other companies. Fanaticism is present for all companies and products, but Apple seems to attract a larger percentage.

Certainly one can make the case that such loyalty is warranted... and that may be so, but it does not refute that the loyalty exists.

Fanaticism can run both ways... "for" and "against". And on both fronts, Apple leads the way. I've never encountered as rabid anti sentiment than anti-Apple people. All that to say, Apple is a very polarizing company. (even more than Microsoft at its height of influence)

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
As an advertising executive, I can tell you that the fact that Samsung has resorted to this type of advertising means they are getting desperate. Like a poster above me already mentioned, any company would kill for a following like Apple has. In advertising, an "attack" such as this is typically reserved as a "last ditch" effort to try and thwart the competitor (by insulting the competitions customers. Trust me, I've worked in Advertising for a long time, and at a very prestigious agency. Don't worry my fellow "sheep", people continue to buy products for one reason...quality.
Considering Samsung just got the lead back for # of smart phones sold and has a larger share % which is expected to happen when they offer more phones at various prices and niches vs just 1. I don't see how their desperate when Apple and SS have been going back and forth for top position, BB would be a desperate company considering their dwindling share in both personal and business markets, not SS. http://news.idealo.co.uk/news/13810/samsung-sells-41-million-smartphones-during-1q-2012-ahead-of-apple.html

BTW one of my businesses is in marketing and consulting with large capital market companies where I've consulted for years. I don't see this as an "attack" of desperation, it was moreso a joke mocking Apple (which we even discussed with some execs down here and they agreed and thought it was funny). I mean look at the add, total mockery in a snide jokingly way (if you don't see that, well....), Apple did the same thing before against Windows, does that mean Apple was desperate? No.

Though I'm sure any company would love the blind following certain ones like Apple have. Nothing wrong with that, like I said in my other post, those of us on forums are the minority. I mean when people are confusing my GSII for an iPhone and asking what iPhone it is, that's some heavy brand marketing engraved in their heads lol.

Last edited:

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy

That was a good one dude:D

Advertising executive, sure?

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
speaking of that ad, did anyone else notice that they used the mass effect 3 music?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.