Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chester1066

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Hi there,

I bought a macbook pro from ebay a few months back - was really pleased with it, everything |I wanted, no problems until Sunday when I was met with a grey screen, big black square and in 5 different languages, a message telling me to hold down the power button to turn off and restart it.

Ive done some online research using my work PC and the symptoms suggest that my Macbook has a 'kernel panic'.
No idea really what this is, but some suggestions were to boot up into safe mode - which ive done....however, ive reached a wall.

It requests a password and not knowing it, i clicked on the hint button and it told me there is no password I just need to hit enter...which i did, and nothing happened, it just gave me the hint again...

I cant get any further with this - id really love someones help as Ive no idea what Im doing and i desperately need to fix this....thank you:confused:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If you get a screen that looks like this:
TS3742_01_KP-001-en.jpg
It's called a kernel panic. If it doesn't happen again, or very infrequently, you don't need to worry about it.
In most cases, kernel panics are not caused by an issue with your Mac. They are most likely caused by an issue external to your Mac. If the kernel panic doesn't happen again within a few weeks, you don't need to troubleshoot further.
If it does happen again, this may help:

chester1066

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Hi there, thanks,yes that is the screen im getting and i cant get past it -
Im still trying to boot into safe mode and cant get past the password stage...should i even try? or just go straight to the links that you suggested?

Apple Techs

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2012
Phoenix, Az
Try safe boot as soon as you hear the chime hold down the shift key until you see a progress bar under the apple

or a few questions and possible help

when you boot to single user mode do you get a lot of random words and then end up with a

:/ root#

or are you just prompted for a password

if it is the password is a firmware password which you will need

if not and you get the :/ root# type

fsck -fy

mount -uw /

exit or reboot

and let us know what happens

it would also be helpful to get a pic of the kernel panic and post it

chester1066

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Hi there, thanks for you response.

When I boot into safe mode, I get asked for the password - which I dont have. However, it then tells me that there is no password and I just need to hit return/YES key and it will work.

Ive hit return and nothing happens - it justs prompts me with the same message tellng me there is no password, and that I need to hit return!

Its driving me mad!

A new thing has happened this evening whereby I i turned the computer off using the power button, then back on and it booted up as normal!! wow i thought, this is amazing, it hasnt done this for 48 hours!! But then it started flickering, the screen was going mad, it was flashing - it asked me if i wanted to report the problem or cancel and i clicked on both and the computer wouldnt respond. So I had to turn of using power button again.

----------

The picture that I get is the same as the the picture that someone has put in this thread..exactly the same.

chester1066

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Hi there, just to update, i ran the OS X start up disc 1, and ran a hardware check - extended version, and it has come up with a problem with the 'video controller'. would this be the problem, as an external hardware source?

Last night before I ran this, my macbook got the the desktop twice and seemed to be OK, but then started flickering, flashing screen, weird colours, froze etc.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Hi there, just to update, i ran the OS X start up disc 1, and ran a hardware check - extended version, and it has come up with a problem with the 'video controller'. would this be the problem, as an external hardware source?

Last night before I ran this, my macbook got the the desktop twice and seemed to be OK, but then started flickering, flashing screen, weird colours, froze etc.

You run Apple Hardware Test, probably, and if it came up with a video Controller problem then it is very likely a hardware problem with your Graphic Card, which means a new Logic Board.

chester1066

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
hi there, ive never logged in with a password before - its a second hand macbook so not sure if it was taken back to factory settings when i got it?

Logic board....ohhh is this expensive?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
hi there, ive never logged in with a password before - its a second hand macbook so not sure if it was taken back to factory settings when i got it?

Yes, they are expensive, hundreds of $$$

You are logged in automatic, if you log out you get the login screen with a password, you probably got it without reinstalling the OS and the other owner entered a password, this is mandatory when you set up OS X for the first time.

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan

As said above you had auto login.
Do you have any idea what the password is?

Btw, it is not a 4 digit passcode thats on your screen right...?

F1 Fan

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2012
Germany
It requests a password and not knowing it, i clicked on the hint button and it told me there is no password I just need to hit enter...which i did, and nothing happened, it just gave me the hint again...

Have you tried the password "enter"? I see you've described the hint differently further down the page but maybe something like that?

chester1066

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
HI there, thanks for the replies...

Ive not tried to type in the actual word 'enter' yet, so i must do that.
Im not sure about a 4 digit password on my screen??

Ive left the Macbook alone for a few days and now when I switch it in, the light comes on the front, but the screen is black...no sign of anything :(

Oh dear the way Im looking at it is this: I have 3 options.

1. I buy working but used logic board for say £200 and fit it myself with help from a techy friend

2. I buy a logic board for my OLDER macbook which got killed from water damage...for £140 - even though i dont know what is wrong with it exactly...taking a chance there

3. I sell both as faulty and raise some money to buy a brand new PC laptop....and go over to the other side...I LOVE Macs but i just cant afford new ones... :(

ANy other suggesions welcome :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.