Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

canman4PM

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
Kelowna BC
Thus the reason for the iphone 5s. The average user does not care. And the Apple fan will buy regardless. Apple essentially created a cult of followers.
I would not be surprised if iOS remains basically the same because of this recognition. Why change something if people don't complain?

Or, Heaven forbid, if it works...?

canman4PM

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
Kelowna BC
maybe the people that didn't like it have gone elsewhere?

----------

the reality is most phone buyers of all brands aren't techies and their phone whatever it is, is sufficient and if you don't care too much about features then the iphone prob is best option.

Funny, I care a great deal about features and yet I have an iPhone...

I also care about size - I like that its not huge as I have an iPad for that. I care about battery life. I care about security. I care about quality. I care about functionality. I care about integration. I care about OS upradability. I care about the fact that I've had iPhones for 4.5 years and when I upgraded the phone, all the apps still worked. And apparently I'm not as alone as some on this website would make me feel.

Oh, and for all the specs people tout - my year and half old 4S still out downloads my wifes new quad-core Android. The apps we have in common (few) are faster and a little more functional on my phone.

Last edited:

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Funny, I care a great deal about features and yet I have an iPhone...

I also care about size - I like that its not huge as I have an iPad for that. I care about battery life. I care about security. I care about quality. I care about functionality. I care about integration. I care about OS upradability. I care about the fact that I've had iPhones for 4.5 years and when I upgraded the phone, all the apps still worked. And apparently I'm not as alone as some on this website would make me feel.

Oh, and for all the specs people tout - my year and half old 4S still out downloads my wifes new quad-core Android. The apps we have in common (few) are faster and a little more functional on my phone.

thats great! i wasn't implying that the iphone didnt have features, i had iphones for about 5years and it was great, i may even go back one day im just happy with the note 2. i wish more ppl in here just get the phone they want and be happy with it without telling the other side how wrong they are. everyone has different wants and needs.

canman4PM

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
Kelowna BC
I find it interesting that we have people here slamming Apple on an APPLE forum. Obviously trolls, because this ISN'T a general cell phone forum, but a MAC rumors forum. Yes, it is possible that someone owns a Mac computer and an Android phone. But if someone is here just to slam Apple, they obviously have nothing better to do.

There is a very intelligent article from Andy Ihnatko about his switch from iPhone to Android: http://www.techhive.com/article/2030042/why-i-switched-from-iphone-to-android.html.

He likes his Android because he can customize it the way he wants to, more than his iPhone. But he misses some of his favorite apps, Siri, and other things. He also describes how initially he had to make many changes when he first got his Android to get it to perform the way he wanted, and initially the phone came with some crap programs he had to discard. He did say that an iPhone works much better "out of the box".

I think all the bickering over a cell phone is stupid. Buy what you're happy with. Some people like the customization available with Android, the larger screen, and don't care if the phone is "plasticky". Others want a smooth streamlined user experience out of the box, better and more expensive construction and design, and are willing to pay for it.

Well said. All of it.

jm001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
your friends an idiot. there is nothing remotely complicated about the basic use of a sgs3. also prediction wise ios is defiantly behind some 3rd party keyboards.

Listen, don't overestimate people and call them idiots. For some, daily use of smart phones is a no brainer, but for many, in the general public, unless someone teaches them, even basic functionalities are lost on them. There are many people who just want what they need right on the screen they're looking at and navigating through folders, creating folders, navigating between screens can be confusing. Having options is good for those that know how to customize, but for others they just want to do and go with no fuss. Remember smart phones as they are today have only been with us for a short time, it's not like we've grown up with this tech. Also features are being added that we never thought about before with each major update. Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it's easy for others and that makes them idiots. On the contrary it just makes you ignorant for making such statements.

As for the keyboard, she had problems with a slight lag when typing. Sure iOS is behind in features when it comes to keyboards, BUT it works fine and it's smooth. I only started texting back in 2010 when I bought an iPhone 4 and I'm surprised at how fast I can type with just using my thumbs with very little mistakes. Many of my correspondences are done on my phone. The third party keyboards on Android are great, but, for me, the iOS keyboard works for my needs.

lucas107

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2008
Listen, don't overestimate people and call them idiots. For some, daily use of smart phones is a no brainer, but for many, in the general public, unless someone teaches them, even basic functionalities are lost on them. There are many people who just want what they need right on the screen they're looking at and navigating through folders, creating folders, navigating between screens can be confusing. Having options is good for those that know how to customize, but for others they just want to do and go with no fuss. Remember smart phones as they are today have only been with us for a short time, it's not like we've grown up with this tech. Also features are being added that we never thought about before with each major update. Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it's easy for others and that makes them idiots. On the contrary it just makes you ignorant for making such statements.

As for the keyboard, she had problems with a slight lag when typing. Sure iOS is behind in features when it comes to keyboards, BUT it works fine and it's smooth. I only started texting back in 2010 when I bought an iPhone 4 and I'm surprised at how fast I can type with just using my thumbs with very little mistakes. Many of my correspondences are done on my phone. The third party keyboards on Android are great, but, for me, the iOS keyboard works for my needs.

that makes no sense. none of those things are required on the sgs3 and at most 45 seconds to set it up almost exactly like the iPhone. also I know 4 people with them and never noticed any keyboard lag whatsoever. there are many reasons people switch back to iPhone but those ones seem like bull. ps I don't own a sgs and pulse blows for forums.

jm001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
that makes no sense. none of those things are required on the sgs3 and at most 45 seconds to set it up almost exactly like the iPhone. also I know 4 people with them and never noticed any keyboard lag whatsoever. there are many reasons people switch back to iPhone but those ones seem like bull. ps I don't own a sgs and pulse blows for forums.

For you 45 seconds. For others, confusion. As for my examples I was speaking in general about doing simple things that may seem like a chore for those who are not familiar with either OS. Don't call people idiots because they can't do what you can. You come off as being ignorant and arrogant. When you put a skin UI on top of the stock Android, it can create confusion. Customization is confusing for many people.

As for the keyboard, this was my friend's experience. Maybe she's got a buggy SGSIII. Maybe she's just comparing it to her experience with the iPhone and compared to the iPhone, for HER, the SGSIII keyboard lags. I'm just relating her experiences with her phone. What do you mean "pulse blows for forums"? What the hell you talking about?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.