Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Jun 16, 2012, 09:28 AM   #1
TheMacBookPro
macrumors 68020

Retina MacBook Pro made by Quanta, not Foxconn. (not that it matters)

I recall a thread on here a few days ago claiming that the new Retina Macbooks are made by Foxconn, not Quanta Computer like before. I can't seem to find it though...

Personally, I doubt there is any difference in terms of quality when comparing a Foxconn produced product to a Quanta produced product.

However some people here seem to believe that Quanta > Foxconn in terms of quality (and I think Apple changed manufacturers from Foxconn to Quanta a few years ago? Don't quote me on that though) and were disappointed that they'd reportedly changed manufacturers.

Those in favor of Quanta will be happy to know that my Retina Pro has just shipped and according to DHL the package was picked up at:

TECH-COM COMPUTER/ACI
No. 68, San-Zhuang Road
Songjiang Export Processing Zone
Shanghai, 201613 CN

With a bit of Googling I've discovered that address is for 'Quanta Shanghai Manufacture City' (source: http://www.quantatw.com/Quanta/engli...rviceinfo.aspx).

Unless Apple have commissioned Foxconn to produce the computer and have Quanta ship them, I can say that Quanta is in fact still the manufacturer for the MacBooks (at least, the Retina models).

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro