Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ylang48

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2013
Dangerous for cats?

What? You're saying it's dangerous for the cat to sit ontop of the Airpor Extreme?

If serious, please explain :)

My cat constantly sits on the wifi and seems to have an increasing neurological problem. She is very insecure on her legs and keeps falling. the symptoms are increasing and I was wondering if the heat/radiations can cause any trouble ???? Normally I don't believe in such radiation myths, :rolleyes: but I was indeed wondering if there is a relation...

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Sitting on an RF transmitter can not be a health enhancer. Only a study could determine probable risks based of RF frequency, transmit power levels, proximity, and hours of exposure per day. I doubt such a study will happen.

ylang48

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2013
Sitting on an RF transmitter can not be a health enhancer. Only a study could determine probable risks based of RF frequency, transmit power levels, proximity, and hours of exposure per day. I doubt such a study will happen.

I agree. I was just wondering if others had observed something similar

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I guess if you really need to stop the cat from sitting on the device, then your local pet store will have things that cats dislike....Just explain you can't spray chemicals etc. on it. I can't remember the name of the product, but its an organic leaf like product. A small dish or container on the top where the cat sits will soon deter the behaviour, and your cat will soon find another place he/ she likes.

Mercurial11

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2012
Apple - AirPort Extreme - Technical Specs

Sorry, I just couldn't resist! :D

I seriously doubt it can cause any problems.

That is hilarious.

I would be more concerned about my cat having issues in their nether regions from sitting on the router.... the good news is that a cat will rotate where they like to sit every few weeks. I assume the router is on your desk and your kitty just loves being on the desk messing with you. Maybe provide him or her a suitable replacement for the router as a place to sit, like a piece of paper. It really gets out of hand when he or she begins to attack your mouse.

ylang48

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2013
I guess if you really need to stop the cat from sitting on the device, then your local pet store will have things that cats dislike....Just explain you can't spray chemicals etc. on it. I can't remember the name of the product, but its an organic leaf like product. A small dish or container on the top where the cat sits will soon deter the behaviour, and your cat will soon find another place he/ she likes.

I just turned it against the wall so it's impossible now. It is warm that's why it's her favourite place and unfortunately the radiators are too narrow for her to sit on.

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
My cat constantly sits on the wifi and seems to have an increasing neurological problem. She is very insecure on her legs and keeps falling. the symptoms are increasing and I was wondering if the heat/radiations can cause any trouble ???? Normally I don't believe in such radiation myths, :rolleyes: but I was indeed wondering if there is a relation...

Wow that's awful, I'm really sorry to hear that about her, take her to the vet ASAP, and definitely keep her off the AirPort Extreme, as now that I think of it I guess it could be affecting the poor kitty.

ylang48

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2013
I will get an appointment with a neurologist vet on Thursday since he is closed until then. I also bought a "tunnel" to hang on the heater and hope she will like this better - it's definitely more comfortable. Thanks to all for your support despite the fact that this is not a pet-lover site!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Apple - AirPort Extreme - Technical Specs

Sorry, I just couldn't resist! :D

I seriously doubt it can cause any problems.

This is hilarious. Very clever and very funny. ;)

My cat approves this picture.

Great picture and lovely cat.

I have to say I have howled with laughter at this thread - the whole thread is wonderfully life affirming and utterly hilarious. Fantastic, and absolutely absurdly bizarre. But very very funny. ;)

ylang48

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2013
This is hilarious. Very clever and very funny. ;)

Great picture and lovely cat.

I have to say I have howled with laughter at this thread - the whole thread is wonderfully life affirming and utterly hilarious. Fantastic, and absolutely absurdly bizarre. But very very funny. ;)

It is funny I agree:eek: nice to see such good spirit :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.