Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fouracre44

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2012
Guys Hello,

I have recently been looking for a new phone. I own a custom assembled windows 8 pc that I use and I also own an Apple Macbook Pro. I am quite a tech savvy user however I do prefer a more refined, simple & basic use when it comes to my phones.

To me my smart phone is a tool, to make calls, send texts, check emails & then I do also things like Banking, Sports Scores & a few games. I use it for music, gps etc... swell. and I like a basic, reliable and solid use.

I am an electrician apprentice, so I have no time for phones that are going to break, or huge phones that are going to get in the way on the job. I have loved my iphone 4s in the past. Now I'm looking at a couple of options based on my use.

- Going back to a more basic smart phone, a lower end phone possibly android, possibly a basic smart phone with a keypad

- Going to a Samsung Galaxy s4 ( I feel this device is somewhat not needed )

- Going to an iPhone 5

I've read things about the iphone 5 scratching, denting etc.. and the defender case scratching the phone and everything. Really, I love the OS, stability of iphones, but I'm not interested in a phone for it;s looks, and it's beautiful craftsmanship.

Can you guy help me out here? What should I do? I really want to get the iphone 5 and rock it in a Defender case, that way I can enjoy the phone in my job and in my home life, sync all my apps & music directly from itunes & enjoy the os etc.. but then I really will do without it if it's gonna cause me issues like scratching, cracky, denting etc.. on the job or when I'm out at the pub, or even just from drops etc.. which I don't expect.

lbros360

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2013
I have had my black iphone 5 since December with a otterbox defender and I don't have one scratch on the phone. My brother had his iphone in a defender since launch without a scratch.

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
iPhone 5 with an otterbox armor case. I use mine daily and love it. It's a huge case but its protected from just about anything.

lyngo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
I have had mine for about a few months now and I haven't put it in a case. No scratches.

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
To me my smart phone is a tool, and I like a basic, reliable and solid use.

I'm not interested in a phone for it;s looks, and it's beautiful craftsmanship.

Based on these statements in your original post I'd go with an iPhone 5 in an Otterbox defender, and if it happens to get scratched, oh well. It's a tool.

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
your post is odd. Any smart phone you get will be susceptible to damage. iPhone 5 is light and slim, making less of an impact on the ground when/if it drops than a heavier phone.

You're not going to find a smartphone that is indestructible. So, get the phone you want (which seems like iPhone 5) and get a protective case. If you're proficient with your hands, you probably won't drop it much. I'd get a protective case like an otterbox, but the defender adds to much bulk to it. I'd go commuter or a different brand altogether.

I have a speck candyshell for my iPhone 5 and I love it. Fits the phone snugly, the buttons respond well, and it's reasonably protected from drops while still being slim.

If you drop your phones a lot, then get a Defender I guess.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
You currently have an iPhone 4s...

And your options are get a low end Android, a high end Android, or an iPhone 5. I guess I don;t understand why keeping the 4S isn't an option. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.