Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Novim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2009
I have a lot of apps bought for my old iPad 2. Recently I got a new iPad mini, and put on it some of the apps (using the same Apple Id). When I tried to buy a new app from my iPad mini, I was asked 2 security questions for the answers I forgot (it seems to me, from my note made 2 years ago, that there was only one such a question, different however than the current ones). Anyway, now I cannot make any new purchase from iPad mini (only from the old Ipad 2, and then to get it on my mini).

Impossible to solve the issue by going to iforgot.apple.com since it keeps asking the same questions I have no answers to.

Any suggestion what to do in order to enable purchases on my iPad mini?

Last edited:

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I'm no help for your immediate problem... but get yourself a password manager. You will never forget a password or security question again.

I prefer 1Password.

/Jim

Novim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2009
Write Apple support.

I did, but their answer was of no help. (They told me to remove the credit card of my account, but my account is not tied to any credit card from the beginning, and there is no option that I could reset so called „security qustions" by myself; also, being abroad from some time I am in no position to make phone call to Apple support team.)

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Nothing we can do for you here. This has to be resolved thru Apple support.

Usually security questions are common knowledge for the person. (Mom's name, first car, birth town). Hard to forget those.

Anyway just open a support ticket via email to Apple. They're usually fairly fast to resolve it. Trick will be proving it's your account and you're not trying to get access to someone else's.

Novim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2009
Usually security questions are common knowledge for the person. (Mom's name, first car, birth town). Hard to forget those.

I fancy Apple, too, but let's get it right. When I opened Apple ID account, 2-3 years ago, there was only one „security" question, and I know my answer to that. However, 6 month ago, Apple choose to change its „protection" to 3 such questions, which I saw for the first time only recently while trying to buy some app from my new iPad mini. Since I do not and cannot know answers to questions I was never asked (so it is not that I forgot answers), my iPad mini was blocked for any further purchase. Which is not so big deal, except that - if asked again, without possibility to reply - my complete ID account could be blocked, and with it all what I bought in the last couple of years from Apple app Store.

I spent the good part of this afternoon looking for solution to this problem on several net forums, only to find out that I am one of many, many similar cases in the last couple of months. Apple made a mess with its „protection" policy, and what's more - does not offer any simple, useful solution to the problem Apple created. Writing e-mails to them does not help; one should go through phone calls via Apple support team to their Security team, and, if lucky, they might reset „security question" for you, provided you give them a lot of other personal data to convince them that you are really - you. And I cannot call Apple from where I live now because it would cost me a fortune.

The point is this: to avoid Apple mess better not forget your answers - if you have been ever asked the 2-3 „security questions", that is. Even better, check your Apple ID account whether your have these „security questions" and your answers, memorize or write them down, in case you need them. Otherwise, you could be out of luck and in potential trouble. And don't rely on Apple help, whatever they say on their web pages.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.