Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
Those saying they see little use for LinkedIn or that it's worthless likely don't have great paying jobs or work in a very professional environment. For those of us that do, it's a very important tool.
Anyone making over $60k/yr and not making use of LinkedIn is missing out on the chance for a much better paying job and being generally better at your job (those making less than that too but it tends to be even better the higher up you are).

What you have is a narrow view of "paying jobs" and "professional environment." I'm uni faculty--not the worst gig available--and LinkedIn offers relatively little return on my investment. I won't cry about Apple integrating it more completely, but it's by no means a key component of my profession.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
What you have is a narrow view of "paying jobs" and "professional environment." I'm uni faculty--not the worst gig available--and LinkedIn offers relatively little return on my investment. I won't cry about Apple integrating it more completely, but it's by no means a key component of my profession.

I'd be willing that you could benefit from LinkedIn, you just don't think you can or know how.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
I'd be willing that you could benefit from LinkedIn, you just don't think you can or know how.

I've invested a lot of time into LinkedIn. But the options are limited.

Possibly for finding like-minded researchers to join up with, but our professional organizations all have their own conferences and/or site forums for just that purpose. Relevant news is distributed via dedicated e-newsletters and publications. All hiring is done via specialty pages as well. I occasionally see people from this or that place have looked at my profile, but it's always someone that I've already met with in person, or someone at a place where I've already sent a CV as part of the application process.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
I've invested a lot of time into LinkedIn. But the options are limited.

Possibly for finding like-minded researchers to join up with, but our professional organizations all have their own conferences and/or site forums for just that purpose. Relevant news is distributed via dedicated e-newsletters and publications. All hiring is done via specialty pages as well. I occasionally see people from this or that place have looked at my profile, but it's always someone that I've already met with in person, or someone at a place where I've already sent a CV as part of the application process.

My husband is an engineer and works mostly overseas on contract. While he also belongs to several organizations and regularly attends conferences and meetings all over the world his last two jobs came via LinkedIn.

He may meet people at the conferences/meetings but LinkedIn allows them to keep in touch much more easily while connecting to others that they may not have met. His professional contact list is now quite extensive and he rarely has to look for a new job (once the current contract is up). There seems to always be someone he has connected with that are in need of his services. And that doesn't count the headhunters (who seem to be rather worthless when it comes to actually reading qualifications and experience).

Perhaps your profession is made up of a smaller group but for many people who work in a professional environment LinkedIn is THE source and way to maintain connections. In the global environment we now live in it just isn't feasible to make/maintain the contacts needed to get the really good jobs otherwise.

For those who stated that Facebook is just as good, well, good luck using Facebook to further your professional life. It may work for a small minority but the vast majority of professions aren't interested in seeing your personal life mixed in with your professional credentials.

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
Those saying they see little use for LinkedIn or that it's worthless likely don't have great paying jobs or work in a very professional environment. For those of us that do, it's a very important tool. Not only does it allow you to keep in contact with all kinds of business contacts but it's also one of the best ways to find a new and even better paying job. It allows us to network with people that can help us land that director or VP position at the company we want to be at. It allows us to keep up with industry news from those that are actually in the industry rather than the jumble of news you get elsewhere. The quality of items shared on LinkedIn has been shown to be much much higher than that on other sites like Facebook or Twitter. Anyone making over $60k/yr and not making use of LinkedIn is missing out on the chance for a much better paying job and being generally better at your job (those making less than that too but it tends to be even better the higher up you are).

Make me kind of wonder whether we're going to see Yammer integration soon as well.

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
Really doubt it. I don't see them being big enough at this point nor are they something most use every day like the more mainstream social networks.

You do realise what Yammer is? it is a service where companies can setup their own internal social network for collaboration; it is a service provided by Microsoft:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yammer

Microsoft provides a native application:

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/yammer/id289559439?mt=8

But integration with iOS would be even nicer.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
You do realise what Yammer is? it is a service where companies can setup their own internal social network for collaboration; it is a service provided by Microsoft:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yammer

Microsoft provides a native application:

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/yammer/id289559439?mt=8

But integration with iOS would be even nicer.

I'm well aware of what it is. Still, it's not that commonly used and not something I'd ever see them adding before the other much more popular social networks like Instagram, Vine, and others. Additionally, what are the chances of Apple integrating a Microsoft product? Slim to none.

globalsignapac

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2013
Singapore
Business owners would surely benefit with this kind of integration. Facebook and twitter are too mainstream anyway, some of us would love to address via social media on a more formal manner and Linkedin is one of the best social networking sites in which we can acquire potential client and other business transactions.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
What is the point of LinkedIn?
I don't understand linking with your coworkers and friends.
I don't understand publicizing your resume.<This maybe my problem.

I barely use Facebook. Mainly to connect with people who i enjoy chatting with but are too far away to hang out with. I'm also on a night schedule rather than their 8-5.

Can someone enlighten me its use?
The only reason I have used it (before having to have an account to view a profile and listing who has seen your profile) was to find info on a person.

It puts your name out there, if potential employers like what they see then you can get headhunted. In return it could lead to a better job, with higher wages etc.

Dannel

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2013
Maybe it would be more useful for some people, but it does not mean much to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.