Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I would really like it if I could get some help pointing my 2014 Maya setup to my Creative Cloud folder so that it automatically syncs everything as I'm working. I want it mostly for easy access to my finished renders, and to not have to worry about my .mb files in general.

For someone who has never worked in Maya, I'll give you the basics. When you open Maya, and there's no working folder to start a project, it automatically uses yourusername/Documents/maya/projects/ and then stores them in there. However, I'd like it to be at /Users/yourusername/Creative\ Cloud\ Files.

This is how to setup a Maya.env:

http://download.autodesk.com/global...ting_environment_variables_using_Maya.env.htm

But apparently to do what I want to do, you have to set it up within OS X's own paths and you would have to launch Maya from the Terminal:

http://download.autodesk.com/global...Environment_Variables_File_path_variables.htm

Thanks. I know I could ask this in the Autodesk Area forums, but I'd rather not since it seems to be very Windows dominant.

I didn't think Mac Basics was a good place for this either. :eek:

dan1eln1el5en

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
You can go there using the finder as well.

Just open finder then in the menu Go / Go to folder , then type in "~/library" find Preferences/Autodeks/maya/[maya version] there you will find maya.env and you can edit it with textedit or similar.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
You can go there using the finder as well.

Just open finder then in the menu Go / Go to folder , then type in "~/library" find Preferences/Autodeks/maya/[maya version] there you will find maya.env and you can edit it with textedit or similar.

Yes, I know that. I want to know exactly WHAT I'm supposed to be typing. I'd rather someone help me instead of doing it myself because I'm probably going to end up making a bunch of redundant folders appear and it'll be a huge mess.

dan1eln1el5en

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
ah you can't...but, wait there is hope:

MAYA_PROJECT
Specifies the location of your project folder on startup.
In the Preferences window, under File/Projects > Project Settings, the folder location is displayed as Always start in this project. After setting the variable, you cannot change the location of the project folder from the Preferences window. You must either change or remove the variable.
Note
Beginning Maya 2013, for the Linux and Mac platforms, there are checks to ensure that the directory pointed to by lastLocalWS is accessible before Maya attempts to use it. The directory must have 555 (r-xr-xr-x) permissions. Otherwise, if the directory only has 444(r--r--r--) permissions, Maya cannot use it; even cd or ls do not work.
In addition to lastLocalWS, there are other workspaces that Maya tries to use on startup, and the same check is being applied to these workspaces also. The order in which Maya tries to use these workspaces are as follows:
the value obtained from the -proj command line argument
the value obtained from the MAYA_PROJECT environment variable
the InitialProject optionVar (i.e. the preference labeled Always start in this project)
the lastLocalWS optionVar (stored automatically by Maya at exit to remember the last active workspace
the default project

from: http://download.autodesk.com/global...ile_path_variables.htm,topicNumber=d30e137272

But I would recommend just set up and use the Project Manager.

I never changed the default startup, but almost never use the default path (only for testing techniques) and usually work on network drives...where you instead would point to your Creative Cloud folder.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
But I would recommend just set up and use the Project Manager.

I never changed the default startup, but almost never use the default path (only for testing techniques) and usually work on network drives...where you instead would point to your Creative Cloud folder.

GOT IT, yay! I just went into Project Settings under the Preferences and changed the folder to my CC one. That was so much easier than I thought it would be.

Although it's still making a folder in my Documents... Would prefer it not to do that. Oh well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.