Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
.....There is no way this garbage is going to sell

That's a little harsh. It's not garbage; aesthetically, it's a strikingly beautiful product. They've missed the boat on other considerations, the OS amongst others.

I am pretty much sure that if they re-release Surface with Windows XP, people may like to buy it!! :D

Imho, this is exactly where they've gone wrong, it's a tablet trying to be a PC, or a PC trying to be a tablet.

It doesn't need Windows; it needs a tablet-optimized OS.

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
Imho, this is exactly where they've gone wrong, it's a tablet trying to be a PC, or a PC trying to be a tablet.

It doesn't need Windows; it needs a tablet-optimized OS.

at some point, phones will have enough power and pretty much replace the pc, just dock it to a monitor and keyboard. that day is not here yet, but coming soon. i'd love my iphone to run full os x when i dock it, but i'll still want iOS when using it as a phone.

SoldOnApple

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2011
Full windows in 1080p IPS screen tablet, I'd pay $500 for it. Would much rather an OS X tablet that can virtualise or dual boot into Windows though.

cryingrobot

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2008
The main problem with MS is that they wont cannibalize their sales to build an ecosystem. Most people have 3-5 devices now but most Windows software has extremely restricted installs. Usually just 1. Even their primary software (MS Office) has 1 or maybe a family pack limited install. This is not going to be enough to cover upgrades let alone a family of devices.

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland

Attachments

• Starbucks desktop.jpg
    Starbucks desktop.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 69

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
For thirty years Microsoft has refused to fix the gaping security holes in their operating system. They've destroyed their reputation. No one, with the exception of those profiting from their crappy operating system, is going to buy a tablet running Windows just to have to immediately buy an anti-virus program and a firewall program.
Security isn't too bad, anymore. But they still can't make it consistently switch between running programs in the same way each time. Absolutely amazing after more than 2 decades.

BarryL

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
Without a robust App offerings, the RT is no good. Surface Pro is a better choice because it includes full desktop version of Win 8. Otherwise RT a great web browser, that's it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.