Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amphibious

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
I can't stand OSX, but I need to be working on a major platform (Windows or MacOS) for a project and I'm really not inclined to go with a Windows computer. Since OSX is based on BSD, do any of the BSD window managers work on OSX? I'd much rather use IceWM or KDE... is this a possibility?

Thanks.

jhu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2004
amphibious said:
I can't stand OSX, but I need to be working on a major platform (Windows or MacOS) for a project and I'm really not inclined to go with a Windows computer. Since OSX is based on BSD, do any of the BSD window managers work on OSX? I'd much rather use IceWM or KDE... is this a possibility?

Thanks.

yes you can. occasionally i boot into darwin only and run x. if you want to try this out you need to edit the the "/etc/ttys" file as follows (basically, comment out the second console line and uncomment the first console line):

#
# @(#)ttys 5.2 (Berkeley) 6/10/93
#
# name getty type status comments
#
# If the console is marked insecure, single-user requires
# the root password.
console "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600" vt100 on secure
#console /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow"

then login, and type 'startx' if you have x installed.

amphibious

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
jtalerico said:
Shell... you are using the wrong term. Shell is like Bash, TCSH, Sh etc... You are talking about a window manager...

A shell is an interface. A windows manager is a kind of shell.

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
amphibious said:
A shell is an interface. A windows manager is a kind of shell.

Umm... no.... What you are trying to change is the "Window Manager". As previously suggested... a shell is something like bash, etc.

BTW: what's the diff between using linux and OS X? Linux is probably more of a major OS than OS X (install base wise)

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
amphibious said:

Thanks.

So MacOS is a major platform, but OS X isn't? Most of the user base of Mac's are on OS X.

Since you are an expert you'd think you could take 2 seconds and google, but NOOOOO you have to call MacOS a major platform.

http://ranger.befunk.com/

can be installed by fink...
http://fink.sourceforge.net/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.