Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NoShoreGuy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
Hi,

I am planning on buying the 27" imac, but want an external drive....like to import my music CD's and such. Is the apple USB super drive a good option??? Or is there something else you guys would recommend?? Not looking to do anything fancy, just want to be able to copy CD's, create Cd's... stuff like that.

Thanks!

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
ok - I had just about the same question. But, want to throw blu-ray into the mix as well.

Any other recommendations for something that does the same as the Superdrive, but also plays (optionally writes) Blu-Ray?

garrize

macrumors regular
May 20, 2012
Paris, France
ok - I had just about the same question. But, want to throw blu-ray into the mix as well.

Any other recommendations for something that does the same as the Superdrive, but also plays (optionally writes) Blu-Ray?

I got this one from amazon.

Looks great and works great for writing & playing Blurays on my GF's MacBook Pro, so it should work just fine on the new iMacs.

Vuddha

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
I got this one from amazon.

Looks great and works great for writing & playing Blurays on my GF's MacBook Pro, so it should work just fine on the new iMacs.

Agree Samsung SE-506AB portable looks good to me.

I work with Photoshop, and Adobe Premier, After Effects and I play WoW on MAC and Star Wars Old Republic and other PC only games. I have a Synology DS212+ NAS for Data and Backup.

Going with:
27" 3.4GHz quad-core Intel core I7 with 8MB L3 cache
8GB Ram Upgrade to 32GB 1600MHz DDR3 from OWC for =+$200.
1TB 7200rpm Fusion Drive or 768GB SSD with External Thunderbolt Raid Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX Graphic processor with 2GB of GDDR5 memory
AppleCare Protection Plan
Samsung SE-506AB Slim Portable Blu-ray Writer

Just a Guess like every one Else. The 768GB SSD may bring it over $4000.

Have a Great day

Hope they come out soon!!!!!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.