Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Baklava

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Germany
Just in case that something gets weird: can I downgrade from Mavericks to Mountain Lion? Will my mailboxes work properly?

bibyfok

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
France
Just in case that something gets weird: can I downgrade from Mavericks to Mountain Lion? Will my mailboxes work properly?
Not Downgrade, you can format and restore from a backup. If so, and if you use IMAP or Exchange, yes your mailbox will be identical :)

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
Just create a backup on an external drive. If something goes wrong you can just revert back to what you previously had. You can also keep a Time Machine backup but I'm not sure how well that will work if you continue to backup when using Mavericks.

If you create a bootable image using a program like SuperDuper it will be the exact same as if you were using your system before the upgrade.

But, you can't simply downgrade from Mavericks. You'll have to reformat and restore from a backup.

SantaRosa2.2

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
Somewhere in Florida
Just create a backup on an external drive. If something goes wrong you can just revert back to what you previously had. You can also keep a Time Machine backup but I'm not sure how well that will work if you continue to backup when using Mavericks.

If you create a bootable image using a program like SuperDuper it will be the exact same as if you were using your system before the upgrade.

But, you can't simply downgrade from Mavericks. You'll have to reformat and restore from a backup.

True, you would not want to back up anymore with the same Time Machine drive once you upgrade to Mavericks.

You could disable Time Machine while you try out Mavericks, or

You could create a separate partition for your time machine for mavericks back ups and then if you ever want to choose to go back to Mountain lion you can simply choose your old Mountain lion back up after a clean install of Mountain lion and use migration assistant to reinstall your old system.

KhunJay

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
Not Downgrade, you can format and restore from a backup. If so, and if you use IMAP or Exchange, yes your mailbox will be identical :)

Could you please list out the steps involved? Thanks for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.